Chapter Five

Varian let out a groan, reaching to rub his stinging eyes. His chest sent shotting pains each time he breathed and his head was throbbing. He also felt extremely warm, making him light headed.

"Varian!" he heard at once, this startled him as he opened his eyes in alarm. W-Where am? Had I been caught?

Four blurry silhouettes crowded next to him all looking in his direction. He blinked his eyes as his vision gained back. Seeing a little more clearly, he could make out the bodies of Rapunzel, Eugene, Cassandra, and Hook Foot was there too, but he quickly left to room.

"W-Where-?" he started, though his sore throat stopped him. He started coughing.

"Don't talk," Cassandra said as she dabbed his head with a cold rag.

They all looked so relived, why?

Varian hissed in pain as he tried to take a deep breath. His chest shot in pain. He clutched where it hurt, curling in his knees. "Ah-" he gasped.

"Take it easy kid, you just woke up," Eugene said, bending down next to the chair.

Woke from what? Am I in the caravan?

Cassandra walked out and came back holding a glass of water. She handed it to Varian, who reached out shakily, though he just looked at the glass, hesitating.

"Drink it. It'll soothe your sore throat. It's like a tomato down there," Cass said, trying to lighten the mood.

Varian took a small sip, his sore throat making it difficult to swallow. "Ruddiger-?" he tried to say.

"Ruddiger is alright," said Cassandra.

Ruddiger's head lifted to his name. Once he realized that Varian was awake, he pattered over to him, curling neatly in his lap. Varian slowly stroked his back.

Varian wasn't asked questions for a good amount of time, which he was grateful for, talking only made his throat hurt worse. He felt warm and sweaty, though he shivered when ever he took off the blanket. Once his mind cleared, he tried his best to think back to what had happened.

I was in the caravan's trunk when I took out beakers. Varian thought. And I think that I started to mix something together, then there was a loud boom. Smoke filled his mind as his memory regained. He remembered how much smoke had filled his lungs, choking him. He remembered seeing Rapunzel looking down in the trunk before everything went dark.

Varian cleared his throat, which felt better by drinking water and eating spoonfuls of honey. Rapunzel, Cassandra, and Eugene all looked up at him.

"Ask questions now, if you want," Varian said, voice only a small bit raspy now.

Rapunzel sat next to his chair, and the rest followed. Rapunzel gently rested her hand on his shoulder and looked deeply into his eyes, "Varian, why were you in the caravan trunk?"

Varian bit his lip, trying to think up a good lie, "I, uh, wanted to say a personal sorry. To you, and everyone else," Varian croaked awkwardly. "I know that my actions were, uh, wrong and-"

Varian was interrupted when arms gently wrapped around him. Rapunzel had silenced him with a hug. He hugged back, taken aback in shock. Cass and Eugene joined the hug as well. Varian let out a relived sigh, feeling safe in the huddle.

He closed his eyes, shaking his head. Don't be weak.

Braking the hug, Varian fiddled with his hands, "So, what happened when I was out?"

Eugene was the one who spoke, "You seemed to be experimenting with some chemicals. They exploded and filled the trunk with smoke. You passed out just when Blondie saw you in the trunk. We brought you here, making sure your fever didn't run too high. The only other thing we could do was with until you awoke," he smiled at Rapunzel who smiled back.

Varian started to pinch the bridge of his nose. "Head ache?" asked Cass. Varian nodded in reply.

"How about you sleep and we'll go and talk outside the caravan, alright?" Rapunzel suggested softly.

Varian's eyes slowly closed, relived that they could detect his tiredness. Before sleep drifted him off, he heard Cassandra say something before they all left the caravan.

"I don't trust him."