Chapter 2

"Hey!" A vaguely familiar voice interrrupted my thoughts.

I turned around to see who it was. I spotted a familiar dishevelled head of dark brown hair running after me under the street lights. "Oh..." I let out a sigh I didn't know I'd been holding, half relieved (and half disappointed?) that he hadn't been Blake.

"Are you really that bummed to see me? Because I have to say I am extremely sexy and I'm pretty sure you're just concealing your love for me with your overwhelming enthusiasm to see me..." He grinned devilishly at me and I punched him in the arm. "Now, now don't get all cocky on me!" I joked.

"Ouch, I don't think I can walk anymore." he said grabbing on to his arm like it was about to fall off.

"I hit your arm, smarty. You can definitely walk with a hurt arm." I giggled as I noticed something in his hand. Wow, that little sip of Cosmo had gotten me a little tipsy. Damn alcohol intolerance. "Hey, is that my...?"

"Oh yeah, I just got off of work and I saw it laying on the bar. You had it before and I saw you leaving so I figured I'd run it out to you." Chace shrugged like it was no big deal.

"Thank you!" I cried grabbing the purse. "This thing is my life." I felt through the bag to be sure they were still in there. I felt the familiar sandy packet of poison through the bag as well as the cold metal of the gun and I nearly died of relief.

I hadn't even noticed I had lost my purse. That was close.

"You okay?" Chase asked as I snapped out of my own thoughts. "I'm just tired." I said adding in a convincing yawn.

"Do you want me to walk you home?" Wow, his eyes were such an intense color.

There was a moment of silence. He continued, "Well, there are a lot of creeps in the city and i want to make sure you get home all right." Oh right, he's talking to me. I should probably answer.

I came back to earth and smiled graciously, "Thank you but I'll make it home all right. Don't worry about me."

If Chace knew how I could take someone down without even blinking, he wouldn't even be talking to me let alone asking to walk me home. The offer was sweet though. I smiled again at the thought as he examined me with a worried look.

Why did he look so concerned? Oh...it was probably because I kept smiling like a lunatic to myself.

Note to self: must stop smiling when people aren't saying anything.

I turned around and began to walk away when I felt a hand on my arm. I glanced behind me and Chace pulled his hand away quickly. "Sorry," he paused. "I just never got your name."

I gave him a little smile. "Audrey."

"Audrey...?" His voice searched for more.

"Just Audrey." I said, unwilling to risk telling him anything else about myself.

"Well, Audrey, just be safe, okay?" He stuffed his hands into his pockets as I nodded.

"See you around."

"I hope so." He gave me a cute little smile and turned to walk back to the club.

I waited until he made his way back in to Riot and then I walked to the end of the block. After checking to be sure I was out of anyone's sight, I snuck to the end of a dingy alleyway in the middle of the street. I jumped up some trashcans and grabbed on to the emergency stairwell. Noiselessly, I made my way up the stairs until I was at the roof of the building. Scanning the area to see where I was, I saw where I wanted to go. The obscure warehouse was on the outskirts of the city and I was about five blocks from it. I slid down the stairs again and I made my way to the unlit side of the nearby street to ensure I wouldn't be seen.

I maneuvered my way down the streets to the warehouse, doing my best to act casual in case someone was watching me. There were two guards at the back of the building and I knocked them out wordlessly and they fell to the ground in a heap. I delicately stepped past their bodies and shoved the heavy warehouse door open. Inside, there was a man sitting in a chair by a protruding part of the wall that I assumed was the safe. He was greasy with slicked back hair and an ugly blue pinstripe suit.

"Hello gorgeous." his beady eyes roamed over my body. The man laughed an low oily chuckle. "Did you miss me?"

I closed my eyes for a second in order to keep my emotions under control and my expression neutral.

Not this slimeball again.

My memories began to rush back and I immediately blinked them back and clamped my eyes shut.

When I opened my eyes again he was closer to me. He went to grab a cigarette from his coat and a convenient glint of silver made it clear he had a gun tucked in the waistband of his pants.He gave me another greasy smile.

"So what brings you here today? I'm guessing you just couldn't resist me?" he said as he ran his hand along his slicked back hair.

I was done wasting time.

I gave him a grim smile as I briskly whipped my gun out of my purse. "I don't have time for your stupid small talk. Just give me the code, Victor."

"Tsk, tsk. You are always so quick to act. You don't know what you're getting in to this time." Victor smirked.

"Don't make me do this, we have too many fond memories that I couldn't bare to lose." I said sarcastically as I gripped the gun fiercely. I expected a snide comment from him but I heard nothing.

Then, I realized that Victor was studying something over my shoulder. His face was veiled with a confused expression.

He's just trying to make you loose focus, I reminded myself. Don't look or he will disarm you.

Suddenly, there was a voice behind me.

"Audrey! Get down!"

A mass slammed into my side and I felt my gun go flying across the room.

Fuck.

Scrambling to get up I felt a sharp pain in my leg and I froze.

Double Fuck.

There was huge gash across my leg. It would definitely need stitches.

I went rigid as I tried to comprehend what had happened: Wait, why did that voice know my name...and why did Victor look confused? If he had known my attacker Victor would have had a different look on his face. 

I shook my head trying to get my thoughts to stop. I didn't have time to think, I had to act.

I clenched my teeth to ignore the throbbing pain in my leg and I swayed up to face Victor. Only...he wasn't there. I whipped around to search for him, and agony swept through my leg. I crumpled to the ground and I hurried to pull myself up again. I stumbled around trying to find him but I froze when I saw what was happening.The two guards from the front had heard the noise at some point and had come inside.They were closing in on me while Chace threw punches at Victor.

Victor reached for his gun and Chace saw that he was outmatched. He dropped the fight and raced over to help me out of the building so that we could escape. Unfortunately, the guards were too fast. They split up and lunged at us. I tried to hold one of them off but my actions were sluggish and he seized me easily. I was dragged out of the room and my leg twisted underneath me. The pain spotted my vision with tiny dots and I felt my consciousness begin to slip away while Chace thrashed wildly against the security to keep himself free. The other guard knocked all six feet of Chace easily to the floor and began to drag his limp body away from me but there was no noise, only the dull ringing in my ears. I felt my leaden head sag as I lost control of my neck and I saw a slim track of blood smearing across the grimy cement underneath me.

Is that mine? I thought as I tried to fight against my heavy eyelids.

And then, everything was black.

______________________

Thanks for reading! Vote and comment! :D