Day 2- A lesson in lemon-picking (UNFINISHED)

Day 2

Period 1
Class 217
Subject: ELA

There's an air of anxiety in the classroom. Percy is still gone.

OJ: When is Percy coming back?

King: Is he coming back is a better question.

Mr. Phone: Everybody, calm down. Unless he's sick today, he's coming.

Despite the wide smile permanently plastered onto Mr. Phone's static metal face, he does seem concerned.

Sophie: He might just be sick, or busy.

Penny: He got taken away yesterday!

Sophie: So?

King: We were gonna have a sleepover, but he never showed up.

Maria: I tried calling him.

OJ: You have his number?

Maria: We were besties last year.

OJ: Fair.

There's a gentle tap at the door.

Mr. Phone: Brian, can you get that?

Brian, who sits right by the door, gets the door.

Percy: Hi guys! Sorry I'm late.

Penny: He's here!

Sofie: What's the tea?

King: Good to see you.

Leo: Yeah, it is!

OJ: What happened yesterday!?

Percy: It was nothing, just the dress code. Apparently taking my uniform jacket off when it's all muddy isn't a good idea.

OJ remembers something from PE yesterday.

OJ: Are you okay, Percy?

Percy: Yeah, but my jacket's all messed up.

As OJ's obligatory flashback ends, Percy takes his seat between the wall and Tara in the back corner of the classroom.

Percy: Hey, Tara, can I borrow your scissors.?

Tara passes him a lemon.

Percy: Not scissors.

He passes the lemon back, just as Brandon, who sits in front of him, passes a pair of scissors.

Percy: Thanks.

He starts cutting a few extra threads on his jacket, that look new. They seem to be stitching the jacket and undershirt together. However, when he pulls out some threads, he winces. The threads looked baby blue to match his jacket (and every other boy's), but relative to his skin, they look only half blue, and half a deep, intimidating red. He realizes then and there that he can't raise his hand, for the color of the threads had bled onto his wrist. Unsure of what to do, he puts a few extra napkins on his wrists to soak up the blood and then hides it with his jacket.

Percy: (Dress code...)

Payton chimed in.

Payton: Dress code is the worst. At least you're wearing the boys' uniform.

Payton had been forced into the girls' uniform, as they're enrolled as a girl. The shirt is concerningly short, and the top emphasized the chest that they'd worked so very hard to hide. There was a heart right in the chest area of their baby pink top, with the school's inane, childlike red apple embroidered onto it. Gross.

Percy: Yeah, you honestly do have it worse, but what would they sew to you if you decided you wanted to wear actual pants for a day?

Payton: What?

Percy: What?

Payton: Hold on, hold on... sew?

There's speech on the intercom. From Principal Cobs himself.

Cobs: Hello, everybody! I have an announcement! Grades will be going home soon, but there's a bit of a problem in class 4. Percy Lynes will be moved to another class due to his grades, all zeroes, shockingly!

Percy gasps. Just as he does so, a few more solider-esque robots like the ones from yesterday grab him.

Percy: There must be a mistake! I got a 100 on my assignment! We only got one this year, and I passed! How do I have all zeroes!?

One of the robots grabs Percy's arm tighter. His wrist remains sticky and red, but his fingertips are going purple from the harsh grip of the metal beast. He begins screaming, struggling, trying to fend the robots off. Payton realizes now what Percy meant by "sew." And that the other wrist remains like that. Soon enough, the writhing boy was dragged out of the room.

(I'm planing to publish this elsewhere if i get the motivation 2 write more)