Water Guns, Jack and Me

Short Sotry Challenge for Hooha84:

Criteria:

Setting- Festival

Object- Jack Russel Terrier (dog)

Genre- Humor

       This blasted heat will be the death of me. It's suffocating and horrible. I'm just lucky that everyday was Casual Friday. There was no way I would have survived otherwise. Today Baton Rouge and tomorrow Sommersville.  

       Ding! Ding! 

       "We have a winner! You can pick any prize on the first shelf, sir." 

       The older man looked closely, as close as he could while squinting through his bifocals. He pointed his rough, bony finger at the small purple elephant hanging from the ceiling. His face lit up as soon as he saw it. This is the part of my job that I hate. If I don't give him the elephant he'll get mad and cause a scene, plus I'll feel bad for not giving the crazy old man an elephant.  

       I grabbed my hook and pulled the elephant down. It was my favorite one because it was hardly ever chosen. This particular little guy had been hanging up there since the beginning of this year's circuit.  

       "Here ya go sir. One elephant for the happy winner! Please take good care of him, Dumbo Jr. needs a good home." 

       The man grinned at me, missing teeth, age spots and all. I grinned back at him and watched him walk away, giving the elephant to the gentle older woman that was hanging on to his arm. I sighed internally. I always wonder what it would be like to be that old and in love.  

       Someone cleared there throat. 

       I looked down and saw a boy who was at least 70 years younger than the previous gentleman.  

       "What can I do for ya sir?" 

       He giggled.  

       "You're pretty." 

       I grinned at him and leaned over the side of the car. I tapped my finger on the edge of his cap. 

       "You aren't so bad yourself slugger. So what'll it be?" 

       He looked at the game thoughtfully. 

       "My daddy won't let me play with guns." 

       I smiled to myself. He looked so serious. 

       "Well, I have it on good authority that these here guns don't shoot people." 

       He looked at me speculatively. 

       "What do they do then?" 

       "They shoot water. The object of the game is to aim the gun at the hole in the wall there and shoot water in it. The first person to fill the balloon up with water and make it explode wins." 

       He grinned. 

       "I like it when things explode." 

       I threw my head back and laughed. 

       "Who doesn't? So do you want to play?" 

       He nodded his head enthusiastically. 

       "I've just got to wait for my Dad. He went to go get something to drink." 

       "He left you all by yourself?"