~3: Where He is Definitely Being Stalked~

Start from the beginning

"So, how was your weekend?" Caroline asked.

I shrugged. "Boring mostly, my parents dragged me to this charity event my dad's firm was hosting and I had to wear the most uncomfortable suit on this entire planet."

She rolled her eyes. "I feel you. My parents are always throwing these over-the-top social gatherings to attract potential investors for their projects. Honestly, they're a total snooze-fest and most of the people who come are  snobs who just want to judge and compete with each other."

Caroline's father was a hot-shot movie producer. It was no secret that her family was loaded.

"So, did you get to fix any cars?" She poked me with her elbow.

My heart did I little summersault.

"Unfortunately, no," I  answered with an awkward smile.

Caroline knew about my obsession with cars. She knew that I liked to spend my spare time helping mechanics around town. They usually paid me an acceptable amount of money and it was something I loved doing.

That was the thing about Caroline. She was the only person in this entire school who bothered to talk to me without any ulterior motives. She seemed to be genuinely interested in my life. She was the first person who'd made an effort to get to know me.

It wasn't just me, she was kind to everyone. Like how she'd complimented Fallon on her shirt earlier and how one time when she'd heard that the lunch lady's poodle had passed away she'd gone out of her way to get the lady a puppy.

That was why I liked her so much.

I just wished I could muster up enough courage to tell her someday.

"Caroline!" A high-pitched voice suddenly called out pulling me out of my thoughts.

One of her friends, Bianca or Beatrice, I couldn't remember her name approached our table.

"I have the juiciest piece of gossip to tell you!" She spoke excitedly.

"Hi, Bianca. Nice to see you too." Caroline laughed.

I started to tune out of the conversation, I had no interest in petty high-school gossip. But Caroline's excited squeal piqued my interest.

"You're telling me that Chase Michelson is single!" Caroline said breathlessly.

"Yes!" Bianca nodded animatedly, "rumor has it that he dumped his girlfriend the first day of senior year."

"Ouch. Poor girl." Caroline answered, sympathy lacing her voice.

"Yeah, I feel sorry for her too but you know what this means, right?" Bianca said excitedly.

Caroline's cheeks turned an attractive shade of pink as she let out a breathless laugh.

Bianca was practically bouncing on her toes, her eyes dancing with excitement. "It means that the guy you've been in love with since freshman year is finally single!"

The breath squeezed out of my lungs.

I felt like someone had sucker punched me in the gut.

Bianca continued talking completely oblivious to the fact that every word she uttered shattered a piece of my heart. "I can't wait for you two to get together, then we can finally go on double dates! Me, Austin, and you and Chase." She said dreamily.

Caroline swatted Bianca's arm, "Let's not think that far ahead okay? We haven't even talked yet."

Before Bianca could respond our chemistry teacher Mr. Spencer walked in.

My mind was a complete jumbled mess.

Caroline Williams was in love with someone.

I'd been a fool to hope otherwise.

"You heard all of that, huh?" Caroline's whisper caught my attention.

It took me a moment to register that she was talking to me.

I gave her a slow nod.

After seeing the look of embarrassment on her face I quickly reassured her, "You don't need to be embarrassed, it's normal to have feelings for someone. Everyone experiences it."

She smiled teasingly. "Do you like someone then?"

"No," I answered quickly and then cleared my throat as I quickly tried to change the subject.

"So Chase seems like quite a catch from what I've gathered." I gave her a small smile.

She chuckled awkwardly, color infusing her cheeks once more. "Yeah," She said shyly.

I swallowed.

I was vaguely aware that Mr. Spencer was saying something in the background, something about concentrated sulfuric acid. Probably giving instructions for the experiment we had to perform but I couldn't care less even if that meant that I could potentially set the entire school on fire.

"So, what do you like about him?" I asked Caroline because I was a fucking sadist who liked torturing himself.

Her expression became dreamy, "Chase is so badass, he always wears these cool leather jackets, and he rides a motorcycle to school." She sighed, "And he has tattoos, lots of tattoos, and piercings." She paused, "and he doesn't really care about what people think about him, he does whatever he wants. He's just so confident and sure of himself, it's sexy as hell."

I swallowed thickly.

I didn't know much about Chase Michelson, just that he was the school's designated bad boy, and apparently, he'd been in a steady relationship for a while but no one really knew who he'd been dating. It was rumored to be a girl from another school. 

"So, that's your type, huh, badboys?" I tried to keep my tone light even though I felt like someone had a fist wrapped around my heart.

Caroline's expression became thoughtful. "I never really gave it a lot of thought but now that you put it that way I guess it's true. I've always been attracted to rebels."

"I see." I managed to grit out.

"Not that it matters." She said softly after a while. "Chase is way out of my league, I doubt he'll even notice me."

Something inside me softened at her words, I could see the vulnerability in her eyes.

I nudged her shoulder with mine. "Hey, don't think like that. You're a great person, any guy would be lucky to have you."

Her expression brightened and she gave me a sweet smile.

"Thank you, Archer, you're a good friend."

I gave her a small smile of my own but it didn't quite reach my eyes.

"And that's all you'll ever see me as"

I thought to myself miserably.

"A friend."