Mamà? Papà?

It was the day mamá and papá left for holidays. Before she left mamá was insanely checking to make sure I knew what to do.

"Mamá I know, just go have fun!" I smiled as papá ushered mamá out to the wagon " I love you [name]" papá smiled as he left for the wagon..

20 minutes after they left Camilo came over."[name], i made you something." Camilo smiled as he handed me a gazpacho.

I sat at the table and ate it. "Camilo that was the best gazpacho I ever ate" I say, bewilderment in my eyes.

"Thanks, [name]. Julieta insisted I bring some food for you if I was to come here again" he smiled. We went to my room and Camilo sat on my bed.

"I'll be sleeping over like A-LOT [name], don't be surprised if I'm here before you" he laughs as I pull him off the bed and he turns into me.

"hMmM I'm [name] and I'm going to PULL Camilo off my ned for just sitting his very handsome, sexy, huge, and admirable ass on my bed. I'm so unproblematic!" He says, trying to imitate my voice and severely failing.

I stand up and shake my hips as I try my best to imitate his voice. "My name is Camilo and I have such a huuuuuge ego! Bigger than the burg Khalifa! Hmm I wonder what way I'll hoard [name]'s bed today! I wonder!"

Camilo's dying laughing on the floor. I pull him up as he calms himself. "I do NOT have an ego bigger than the burg khalifa! I just know I'm amazing!" He said as swayed him hips.

"Oh get over it, pretty-boy" I laughed as I pushed him.

Hours past. Days past. And soon enough it was time for my parents to come home. But they were late.

I didn't really care since that means more time with Camilo. Today was one of the days he didn't sleep at mine. I waited patiently as the clock went.

2:00. 4:00. 6:00. 8:00. 10.00. 00:00.

I started ti get worried. Maybe they just were late? Maybe they are here? Nope. It's pitch dark. I should go to sleep. But what if they come home to a locked house? Fuck it I need to sleep.

I went to sleep and as I woke up I got dressed faster than I had in my life. They have to be here. They're my parents! I get into my kitchen only to see 2 letters addressed to me at the door.

I opened the more official one first. I clasped a hand over my mouth as I read the horror that was on the letter.

To: [name] [last name]
Subject: [mothers name] and [fathers name]
Last night at 9:48 [mother] and [father] [last name] died in the hospital.
Cause of death: a car hit into the wagon they occupied
Next of kin: [name]
The funeral will be held at [original town] at 1:45 on [five days ago]
Condolences sent out to all related to the victims of this tragedy

Who the fuck would play this joke. This has to be a joke. Mamá and Papá aren't dead. They can't be. I opened the other letter.

Dear [name]
We are in the hospital as I write. We don't have much time. We are so sorry for what you have to go through. We love you unconditionally and if your granted this letter we have passed away. We are always by your side. [name], we love you and always will.

Stay strong,
Your mamá and papá

No.. no this isn't real. They're joking. Anytime now they're going to walk through the door and mamá is going to make her delicious food, papá is going to make his cringy jokes and it will go back to normal.

Right?

I feel a tear fall down from my face as another comes, and then another and it keeps going as I realise that my parents are gone. In the afterlife. Dead.

And I couldn't even go to their funeral because this stupid letter came late. I can't believe this. I've failed them. They've raised me to who I am now and just with one car its over.

I'm uncontrollably sobbing as Camilo walks in. "[name], what happened? Is everything ok?" He says as he see's me in the state I'm in. I slide him the letter as his eyes scan the page.

He starts consoling me as I grab on to him. "Hey Camilo?" I mutter, loud enough for him to hear

"Hm?"

"You're all I have left, so please, promise me you will stay with me, and I'll stay with you.

"Of course [name]. Remember? Nothing can change how I think of you, and we will always be friends, through thick and thin"
He smiled as he grabbed my hand.

Weeks and months were passing by. I always missed them. The way mamá gave me her 'look' if I mentioned Camilo, the way papá never lasted 2 hours without cracking the corniest,  cringiest joke he could say, the way that the two were always so cute together.

I always helped Camilo out with his problems so it felt so reassuring for him to help me with mine. He always made me smile, no matter what he was saying or doing, he just made my day.

5 months later, you put it behind you and Camilo's birthday party is the next day.

Camilo pov
"Camilo, who are you inviting to your birthday party?" Abuela asked as I continued to put up decorations.

" probably only [name]" i say, shifting into mamá . Abuela has gotten over the fact that I have other friends and has accepted [name].

" what's their surname? I need to write them an invitation." Abuela said as she got out a pen and a coloured card.

"[last name]" I respond. Abuela drops the pen and clasps her hands over her mouth as a single tear runs from her eye.

"Abuela what's wrong?" I say, turning back into myself and running towards her.

"[last name], that family, they were the people to take Pedro" Abuela chokes on her words as numerous tears run down her cheek.