1

"so, you're black?", the assumed white man continued to ask in front of me.

"yes sir, i'm also mixed with other Caribbean races that i'm not very sure of.", i replied, trying my best not to catch an attitude.

"uh", he paused, "i'll show your application to the CEO and he should get right back with you within the next few hours." he slid a business card towards me, "and if he does not get with you, call this number and it'll direct you to his office!"

"okay, thank you so much for the help sir", i said back to him as i began to walk away.

me, almost 17 year old black, maybe mixed, female high school student was (maybe) getting my first job.

i unlocked my car and got settled before pulling out my phone and texting the groupchat.

the girls❤️‍🔥

where did y'all wanna meet? like who's house?

bff brook🌟
we can meet at mine.

skaiiiii❤️‍🔥
okay, who's driving and are we meeting up w the guys?

if y'all want to, we can. and i'm driving my car ..did you want to ride?

skaiiii❤️‍🔥
no i was driving too, thank you tho💖

bff brook🌟
i was gonna make cinco take me, so i don't need one either

it wasn't long before we decided on a place to eat at and headed there.
_________________________________________

📍Local Seafood Place

the waiter brought our food and began to ask if everything was okay and passed out gloves and aprons.

brooklyn continue to tell us about her mom, "like no bro, she had no right.. she wants to play victim and act like she's not the problem but she is."

me and skai nodded and continued to eat.

"like here you are almost in your 40's, blaming my 20 year old boyfriend for allowing me to live with him. like come on man, you told me yes and he didn't care so obviously since your the parent if you don't like me living there, tell me to come back." she continued.

"yeah, but i think you should move back home, brook. you're young and you should get your own crib before you live with someone else." skai started.

i began to add on, "i agree, i see where your coming from brooklyn, i promise i do, but you're not even 18 yet. live your life. she's mad now but move back home and wait out those months. she'll have no choice but to get over it."

"yeah y'all are right, i think i will move back. it's just that she's soooo toxic too, like and for what bro? she's always filming everything and doesn't edit anything out."

"have you tried mentioning that to her?"

"yeah, and that's another reason why Mel Mel moved out, me and him both tried telling her that we didn't like having cameras in our face 24/7, because we had no privacy whats so ever", Brooklyn said before taking a sip from her strawberry lemonade, "she just gaslighted us and told us that she wasn't gonna stop unless we wanted to be homeless and poor like before."

"yeah i don't understand her", skai replied. i agreed.

brooklyn was a 17 year old girl i met in elementary school. everybody would pick on her because she was so quiet and was poor. me and skai were already friends so we just became her friend too. shortly after, her family discovered making money off youtube & began to gain money from it. we were all around 10 around the time that we became friends and all had a large social media following.

skai was turning 18 in three weeks. me and skai became friends when we were 5 or 6. she was my old neighbor, so we basically grew up together. she got a large follow off of a show she starred on that was on Disney Channel, Jessie.

me on the other hand, i didn't have parents. i didn't know any of my closest kin and grew up in the system since i was around 7. my mother died of a drug overdose soon after my dad was murdered in prison. typical story huh? right.