Apologies and Broken Noses

Start from the beginning

"Hi," I smiled back.

"It's a pretty slow day, as usual, so you can just sit back and work on orders if there are any," she said.

"Alright," I said as I walked to the back. It was usually pretty quiet here and there was never really any rush days. That's why I liked working here so much.

"Hey something came up. Do you think you'll be able to close up shop today?" Jess peaked her head through the door and into the kitchen.

"Uh year sure of course. What happened is everything alright?" I stopped cleaning the dishes as I turned to look at her.

"Yea just a small family issue thing. Sorry it was just really abrupt and unexpected," she guiltily replied.

"Oh I see. Don't even worry about it I've got nothing else to do anyways," I said as I walked to the cash register. It was a very slow night and it would be pretty easy to take orders and make them at the same time. I could handle it.

"Alright see you tomorrow bye," she said as she walked out.

"Bye," I waved.

Two other people walked in after and ordered two medium lattes but other than that I was alone for the rest of the night. It was getting pretty close to closing time so I walked to the back to go get my jacket when I heard the front door open. I looked over and saw a man in his late twenties or early thirties walk in.

"Hello how can I help you," I smiled at him.

"One plain dark coffee please," his deep monotone voice replied.

"Um what size?"

"Large," he smirked.

"Coming right up," I said as I turned around. I don't know what it was about him but I didn't like the vibes he had. Something felt wrong. Very wrong.

I handed him his coffee and expected him to turn around and leave but he didn't.

"So how was your day?" He looked at me.

"Good," I smiled, trying to be polite.

"How old are you?" He looked me up and down.

"Um seventeen," I awkwardly replied, still smiling.

"Ohh. When will you be turning eighteen?" He smirked again. I was starting to get very uncomfortable at the way he was staring at me.

"Sorry sure but you really should leave. Shop will close in like a minute," I tried to end the conversation.

"Oh so you don't make exceptions for certain customers?" He smirked again.

"No sorry sir. You have to leave now," I said. I wasn't smiling anymore.

"Oh c'mon don't be like that," he tried to grab my arm.

"Please get out or we will have a problem."

"Fine fine I'll leave. Just let me finish my drink," he walked over to a nearby table and sat down. He was looking for any excuse to stay. I walked to the back and pulled out my phone. I didn't know if I should call the police or just call my mum. She probably wouldn't pick up because she was still at work. I called Olivia but there was no answer. I then called Louisa and again there was no answer. Since neither of the girls answered  I decided to try and call Alex. He luckily picked up.

"Ey Charlotte ow ye doin?" He slurred from the other side of the phone. Great he was pissed out of his mind.

"Are you drunk right now?" I questioned.

"Only a little," he struggled to reply. Ugh he wasn't gonna be much help right now was he. I hung up and called Jess but she didn't pick up either. Probably busy with that family issue thing. I didn't really know the other boys as well and this would probably be a little awkward but it seemed like there was no one else I could call. I just decided to call Nick and to my surprise he picked.

"Hey? Are you alright what's with the random call?" He asked from the other side of the phone.

"Sorry there was no one else I could call. Everyone seems to be busy. I'm at work and there's this random old creep that came in and won't leave. I should be closing shop right now but he just won't leave. I just don't feel really safe right now and would love it if someone could come," I blurted out.

"Oh wow. Okay calm down I'll come right now. Where is this coffee shop again?" He asked.

"Um it's called cornerstone-"

"Ah that one. I'll be there soon just stay in the back and don't hang up," he stated.

We stayed on the call but it was silent most of the time as I kept my eye on the strange man. He was still there and it had been fifteen minutes since I was supposed to have closed the store. Luckily Nick made it and walked in. He walked to the back and saw me.

"Jesus you look pale," he stared at my face.

"Yea because he's fucking scaring me," I gestured to the strange man.

"Sir you have to leave right now," I basically yelled at him from a distance.

"Or what? Your boyfriend's gonna beat me up?" He joked. He found this amusing. God why couldn't he just leave. I wasn't asking for much.

"Yea I just fucking might," Nick walked in from behind me. The man stood up and to his surprise, and mine too, Nick seemed to actually be taller than him.

"Get the fuck out," Nick threatened.

"Jesus I will calm the fuck down," the man exclaimed as he put both of his hands up.

"I mean like right now," Nick said again.

The man sat back down and looked around.

"Jesus you guys are rude. Is this really how you treat customers?" He calmly said from his seat.

"If you don't fuck off right now I will make you fuck off," Nick tried to calmly state.

"I don't like the way your boyfriend is talking to me," the man turned to look at me. He then slowly got up.

"At least give me your number," he tried to walk up to me and grab me again but Nick shoved him off.

"What the fuck do you think your doing," Nick called him out.

"Don't touch me," the man yelled. He tried to throw a punch but before his fist could touch Nick, Nick had acted quicker and punched him in the face. You could hear his nose break.

The man held his bloody nose in his hands and covered his face.

"What the fuck. You're mental," he pointed at Nick.

"Look who's talking," I replied.

The man basically ran out holding his nose and I let out a sigh of relief.

"Words cannot describe how thankful I am right now, Nick," I said to him as he turned around to look at me. "You basically saved my fucking life."

"No problem, Charlotte. But next time maybe you should call the cops instead of your friends," he laughed. "Quite a lot of drunk bastards here at night."

"Your right. I panicked alright," I rolled my eyes. The tension was slowly starting to ease and I wasn't freaked out anymore. "Sorry for calling you here so late."

"Don't worry about it. It's what friends do," he smiled at me. "Now let's get you home shall we."

"We shall," I grinned as I grabbed the keys and we both walked out.