CH 8.3 Eggs Not Babies!

Start from the beginning

"Alex." Cale stepped in front of her. "Breathe. Again. Deeper. One more time. Good, now how do you feel?"

"Like . . . like . . . there's going to be babies and I don't know what to do!" she wailed.

Cale chuckled and the sound startled Alex.

"How can you laugh at a time like this?" she demanded. She shook his arm so hard that his fingers vibrated.

"Alex, Alex, Alex," he crooned. "This is not an emergency. There won't be any babies right now. Eggs, remember? Not babies, but eggs. Now take a few more deep breaths."

Alex obeyed.

"Good, now can you keep yourself together? I need you to chaperone and I don't want you frightening that girl."

"Mustn't frighten the girl," Alex intoned to herself. "Don't frighten the pregnant girl."

Cale smiled and they walked back together to Kira. His soothing manner helped not just the girl but also Alex. Kira even let Cale examine her, although her eyes were large and somber and she held Raba's hand. He gave both the girl and Alex a reassuring pat when he was done.

"She's going to be fine," Cale said, giving both the girl and Alex a confident smile. "Now that we know what it is, it's just a matter of time." Raba's shoulders slumped and she squeezed Kira tightly.

"We must talk with Gabe," Cale said.

Alex furrowed her brow and the corners of her lips turned down in confusion. "Uh...okay."

I don't understand but shut up and follow Cale.

"Gabe," Cale addressed his brother as they approached. "One of the girls is going to clutch soon. Rile, Alex is a little . . . nervous . . . about it, so be nice to her."

Rile smirked. "What, the big, bad Guardian is scared of some little eggs?"

"I said be nice," Cale scolded. "Gabe, you know a first clutch from one so young isn't likely to survive."

"I'd rather be prepared. I'll talk to Clan Head Gaza," Gabe said.

"Alex, you've had enough excitement, so please come with me," Cale said.

"Where are we going? More hunting? More gutting?" Alex was dismayed at the thought of gutting.

"We won't make you gut. We need to trade for more skinning and tanning tools because I want each girl to have her own set. I wish I knew someone who would teach them weaving. That would be more useful."

"Maybe I could help with that." Rile spoke up. At their looks, he protested, "I knew some nice girls."

"Yes, but will they talk to you?" Gabe asked.

"I bet they will." Alex leaned against Rile. "No trading sex for weaving lessons."

"Alex!" Rile said in a scandalized tone and gathered her into a hug. "Don't even joke about that."

Alex gazed into those dark German Shepherd eyes. "I'm sorry," she said at length. "I'm also sorry that I was both a psycho and mean witch to you last night."

"Try to rein in the psycho stuff, or at least include me in it. Cale says I deserve the meanness," Rile said.

"You do," Cale asserted.

Gabe walked off to talk to the Clan Head while Cale, Rile, and Alex flew off hunting. Cale hunted rabbits, so each girl could have her own to skin and tan. They also bagged two mountain goats for trade purposes. After hunting, they gathered around the fire, roasted some deer, and waited for Gabe.

"What I wouldn't give for a crawfish boil right now," Alex said, patting her stomach. She lifted his head and watched the flames dance in the fire pit. It was a bit chilly out here on this small, moonless night and she cuddled up closer to Rile. "I know I shouldn't say that, but this camp food really isn't cutting it right now." The flames danced, then faded, then flickered with new life as a gust of air blew through the clearing.

"If we gave them the food, I'm sure Dola and the girls would cook for us," Rile said. "It would be considered an even trade if we gave enough for them to eat as well."

Gabe stomped up and flung down his gear. They gaped as his bow and quiver clattered to the ground. He never treated his weapons with anything but respect, like they were living beings.

"Went that well?" Only Cale was brave enough to ask.

"I thought I knew Gaza." Gabe sat down.

Alex poured him a mug of wine.

Leaving off Gaza's title is serious.

"Sometimes you don't really know someone until you reach areas like this. I take it he won't help?" Cale asked.

"Won't help? Won't help? He said she should smash the whole clutch!"

Alex saw they were all equally outraged. She didn't want to speak, but anxiety pushed her into it. "Okay, boys, this is serious. What do we do?"

Cale smiled gently at her. "I'll take care of it and talk to the healer. He'll know of couples that want children but are unable. You did your part, Gabe, now leave the rest to me."

Cale's job had always been to help, to smooth things over, to find solutions and this was no different. He even ordered everyone to bed. Alex was glad to be mothered and was reasonably sure the others felt the same way.

***

A/N

Dedicated to faithful readers

efrosinia_g

Angel_Eyes1514

IkumapayiSegun