"that's not the point."

"okay then." y/n turned her phone off and placed it facedown on the table. "can i read your writing?"

"when i finish writing it. i hate unfinished chapters." akaashi answered and spun his pen around his fingers swiftly and gracefully. "ever feel like that with your art?"

"certain times like when i'm in the middle of drawing something i have to finish it before stopping or moving on."

"how fast can you draw?"

"depends on the thing i'm drawing."

"can you draw me? i want to see your drawing style." akaashi offered his pen to her and a blank sheet of paper. "it doesn't have to be so detailed or anything, just a small drawing."

"can i draw a stick figure and write your name under it?" y/n asked and pushed the cap of the pen off. "it'll save us both a lot of time."

"no."

"okay, go back to writing so i can draw without feeling pressured." she grabbed a book and pulled her legs up against her chest so she could place the book and the paper onto her lap to draw without him seeing.

"then i'll feel pressured." akaashi said but reached for his laptop either way.

"then that sucks for you." y/n began to sketch out the outline of his head.

"do you want me to stay still?" he asked, wondering what would be the most convenient for her.

"you can blink and try not to breathe too much."

"got it, i won't blink even if i have tears pooling in my eyes." akaashi nodded and began to type of his laptop. once again, random letters instead of actual words.

"is your book going to be a mess of letters?" y/n asked, her eyes glancing down to his hands before looking back up to his face. "i'd still read that. i want to read a book like that." she reached her hand out and brushed a loose curl that had fallen from the top of his head.

akaashi's fingers stopped moving against the keys when her hand brushed against his forehead and he kept his eyes on her face when she moved forward. "i can't get this curl to stay. it keeps falling down to your forehead."

"yeah, i've given up trying to style it in the morning." akaashi answered, his voice a bit lower than usual. "it has a mind of its own."

"well." y/n went back to her seat. "i guess it'll add some more detail to your face."

"more detail? is my face not pretty enough on its own?" akaashi tilted his head to her and she pushed his head back to his laptop with the pen she had in her hand. "should i be offended?"

"be offended all you want, but stop moving your head." she lectured and began to drag the pen against the paper again. "are you staying here until we close or something? not that i mind or anything, just asking."

"i don't think i can, i have a meeting at two." it was one-fifteen right now and he had to leave in fifteen minutes if he wanted to make it on time. "i could come back at night if you'll miss me so much."

"if you come back and buy a whole stack of books then sure." y/n kept looking up and down between the paper and him. like akaashi had asked, the drawing wasn't detailed but all his features were there. especially the one curl on his forehead.

"i think i'll have to get two jobs to meet your new requirement." akaashi looked over at y/n and his eyes moved from her face where she was focused on drawing and tapping her foot against the chair to the beat of the music playing in the background of the store. even when she looked over at him, her attention was focused solely on drawing.

i never knew someone could look so focused on something until i saw how engaged you were in your drawing. to most people you would probably look like you were just a person drawing with a man sitting next to her. to me, you were this wonderful and beautiful girl with creativity flooding out of you with no end and doing something she loved. me.. sitting across from you.

you were like a blooming flower in the middle of winter, ignoring everything around you and letting yourself grow in your own way. maybe that's what got me so interested in you. it was like a ray of sunshine sitting next to this.. cloud. i just know you're going to laugh about me calling myself a cloud but that's not the point. i could sit and write about you forever and never run out of things to write about.

"when does your break end?" akaashi asked and looked down at the first floor where kenji was at the front desk with emika leaning her head on his shoulder. she was saying things into his ear while kenji had a soft smile on his face and his hand drawing circles on her hip.

"uh." she glanced over at the clock on the wall. "six minutes ago."

"am i keeping you from work?" akaashi abruptly sat up but y/n used her foot to push his knee.

"sit back down, you're ruining your own drawing. my parents don't mind and besides, they're probably all lovey-dovey right now." she didn't have to turn around to know her parents had blocked out everything around them except each other.

both of them were disgustingly and adorably in love with each other, but if y/n walked down to them right now then they would turn all their attention to her, same with her sister.

"don't make me keep you from work." akaashi said while he shut his laptop and slid it back into his case. he made sure he was careful not to move his upper body too much and just his arms.

"relax, there are barely any customers and my parents are probably ecstatic about me actually having a friend that's not my roommate and his girlfriend." y/n quickly but carefully drew the finishing touches before dropping the pen and looked up at akaashi. "close your eyes."

akaashi's eyes fluttered shut the second the words came out of her mouth.

a pair of hands grabbed onto his and a sheet of paper was placed into them. "okay, open them." y/n's eyes were more focused on his and the precise color of his eyes and the way they widened when he saw the drawing.

"oh wow." akaashi's eyes ran all over the small sketch of himself and he couldn't stop finding a new thing to be amazed about. "this is great.. you're an amazing artist. you really drew this in ten minutes?"

"oh stop, i'm blushing." nevertheless, she smiled and handed akaashi his pen back. "but thank you. you can keep that by the way." akaashi looked up at her and raised his eyebrows.

"really?"

"yeah. i'll probably end up drawing a more detailed portrait of you one day." she leaned back in her chair and looked down at her parents. emika was now helping a customer and kenji was at the front desk, getting someone's books purchased. "i suppose i should get back to work."

"i have to go anyway." akaashi stood up and she followed his actions. "i'll see you at our next coffee shop meeting?" he grabbed the bag of books, his bag, and his laptop case.

"y/n!" kenji called up when there was a line at the checkout.

"coming dad! and yes i will see you then. bye, darling!" she walked over to the stairs and looked back over her shoulder. "good luck with your writing! hope you overcome writer's block!

what she didn't know was writer's block disappeared whenever he wrote about her.

~~~
SHE CAME IN AND SHE WAS LIKE A SHOT OF ESPRESSO. SHE'S LIKE BEING
BATHED IN SUNLIGHT.

what if i make the ending of this book something like the ending of la la land