0.9

Avery's POV

"Hello?" I picked up my phone nervously, still anxious because of recent events. "Hey Avery." The voice on the other end chirped. "Oh, sorry. It's Luke."

"Oh," I sighed with relief. "Hey, how are you?"

"I'm good thank you. You?"

"That's good, and yeah. I'm fine."

"I know this may be really late notice, but I've got this really important dinner tonight with work, and I was wondering if you would be my date?" His tone was cautious, slightly nervous. "Oh, uh I-"

"If you don't want to it's okay. I mean I can try and find someone else, but I'd really like you to be my date," He rushed. "And I kinda don't want to be the only one there without someone." An anxious, fake laugh followed his voice. I really didn't feel like going out, but I felt too guilty and I thought it could distract me. "Okay, sure. What time are you picking me up?"

-

"Zo, does this look okay?" I peeked my head round the corner of her bedroom, when I remember that she had gone back to England for a few days to clear her mind. "Oh." My shoulders sank lower, before I shut her bedroom door morosely. The apartment didn't feel right without Zoe here. It seemed somewhat empty. The walls seemed bleak and every single noise mirrored through the apartments cracks. Zoe was my best friend, and not having her here was tougher than I thought.

A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts. Checking my appearance one last time in the mirror, I opened the door and greeted a very formal Luke. "Wow," he gaped. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you." I blushed at his comment, before shutting and locking the door behind me. "Let's go." Luke took my hand as he helped me into his car. "Such a gentleman." I teased, tightening my seat belt.

-

"Where do you work again?" I asked Luke. "I work for a management. A music management actually. We're called Hi Or Hey Records." He replied as we pulled into a very tight parking space. "Bit tight." He laughed nervously. "I'll help you out." Watching as his tall, slim, legs wandered around the car, I couldn't notice but how extremely attractive he was. His hands were a lot bigger than mine, so they cupped around my hand easily as he helped me out. "Don't be intimidated by anyone, they try to be fierce but are all sweet hearts inside." He nodded, taking my hand and walking close by me. "What do I say if they ask me if we're dating?"

"Uhhm, just say that we're on a date?" He scratched the back of his head nervously, before tightening the grip on my hand as we walked into the venue. "Wow." My mouth dropped. Luke chuckled at my comment. "They always over-do these stupid events." My eyes viewed the area, looking at each visible person in detail. "What's the event for?"

"Some stupid anniversary thingy, I'm not quite sure. Smile, my boss is coming." Instantly following Luke's orders, I smiled gently before turning to face his boss. "Mr. Hemmings." He nodded, shaking Luke's hand. "And you are?"

"Avery-I mean, Miss. Cole." He shook my hand with a far too firm grip, causing my whole arm to shake. Too embarrassing. "This is my wife, Miss. Jackson. My names Mr. Jackson, but please, call me James." I couldn't help but cringe at his attempt to flirt with me, especially in front of his wife. Returning a small smile, Miss. Jackson spoke to me. "I love your necklace. Reminds me of one I had when I was younger." Before I could thank her, she had turned away and engaged in another conversation with another colleague.

-

After a long night of repeating the line, "No, we're just on a date" with a fake smile over, and over again, Luke finally dropped me off home. Outside my apartment there was a slim, brown package on the doormat.

My heart pounded, as I picked up the letter and rushed inside my apartment, slamming and double locking the door behind me. I stood there, staring at the letter for a few moments, before curiosity got the better of me and I ripped open the package. A few CD's and a small note fell out of the bottom. My hand went straight for the note, my shaky legs just about holding me up.

'I remember you told me you liked music. Enjoy these.

Ash x'

The breath I didn't realize I was holding escaped from my mouth. The CD's weren't damaged from the fall, so I slid one into the DVD player under the TV called 'Don't Panic."

Letting the music play loud into the apartment, I jumped in the shower. I felt so numb, staring at the shower wall. A strange feeling was burning against the back of my head. A feeling of being watched. My neck snapped round behind me. No one. Stop it. You're just being paranoid. The feeling continued, so I grabbed my towel and got out quietly, leaving the water running. My feet tiptoed across the floor, trying my best not to make a sound. As I peered round the corner, I saw a black shadow of someone in the living room. Controlling my breathing, I crept up the hallway towards the room. I closed my eyes and took one last deep breath in, before forcing myself around the corner. No one. No one was there. The room was in the exact same state I left it, expect a small, black envelope was left on my computer desk. Feeling frail, I reached for the envelope and slowly teared away at the perfect seal.

'I knew you would save him, Avery.

But, the real question is...

Was saving him the right choice?"

-

"Come on Danny, you bastard!" I yelled. "Pick up the phone!" Hanging up, I re-dialed Danny's number for the fourth time. "Avery?"

"Finally!" I sighed. "Are you okay?!" I demanded. "Yeah, I'm fine. Why?" His voice sounded drained. "I just panicked...I'm sorry for waking you."

"It's fine, I couldn't sleep any-" His voice got cut off, and instead all I could hear was a strange muffled sound. "Danny?" The rustling got louder, and louder until there was nothing to be heard. "Danny?!"

A sharp beeping noise pierced through my ears, before I heard a loud bang and what I assumed as doctors yelling. Silence filled the space between the phone and my ear again, before the phone cut off.

-

authors note:

uh oh...

i hope you guys liked this chapter :))

if i made an 8-tracks playlist for this book would any of you listen?

tysm for 6k reads ily all!

see you soon!