𝑽𝑰𝑰.

CHAPTER SEVEN — don't be cruel
——— ⋆୨୧ ₊゚♡ ⊹ɞ ———

"FAYE!" i heard john calmly yell from downstairs. what did he need? it was the end of my first week here and i knew that there was nothing i could get in trouble for.

then i thought about the cigarettes. how could he have found them? i rushed over to my top drawer and saw that they were safely placed underneath my socks and tights. so i rushed downstairs and tried to look as calm as i possibly could.

he didn't seem particularly rushed or upset, so i carefully, but quickly, made my way down the creaky wood stairs. "there's a phone call for you," he said handing over the red telephone.

"is it my mother?" i said, making a pretend, but mostly real, face of disgust. i was hesitant to grab the phone from him, but i knew i couldn't just leave him sitting there. he shook his head no and a small smile crept on to his face and a huge feeling of relief passed over me. i wasn't in the mood to talk to either of my parent and i felt i would get too mad anyways. i grinned back at john, still sort of confused, and slowly brought the phone to my ear.

"hello?" i quietly spoke into the phone. the person on the other end took only a second to respond.

"oh, hi. faye?" the familiar voice spoke on the other side of the line. i could hear the familiarity of the voice. the voice that had only spoke a few words to me during our short lived encounters.

"yes," i had a clear idea of who it was now, and turned around to give a bigger smile to john.

"this is neil." he acted, as though he still might have the wrong number even after talking to john.

"yes, i thought so," i added, still smiling. my mood completely changed.

"well, i calling to ask if you would like to go to dinner with me on wednesday night?" he asked me, with full confidence. i could hear a few quick whoops in the background and a small laugh from neil as he tried to quiet his friends.

"of course," i replied, he didn't even have to ask, but i was still obviously glad he did.

"all right," he said with an audible smile, "i'll pick you up at 8 o'clock?"

"yes, that's fine," i responded, my face quickly heating up.

"okay, thanks, i'll talk to you soon," he kindly said.

"bye," i said after a few beats of silence.

"bye,"

i took a moment before i hung up the phone. when i did, i turned around, smiling widely. i couldn't believe it, no one had asked me out before and i was the most excited i had been in a long time.

"did you set it up?" i rhetorically stated to john.

"maybe," he replied. the grin on his face gave it all away.

i nodded, still smiling, "thank you."

i turned and slowly walked back up the stairs to my room. i softly closed the door behind me, but not without a permanent smile.

i read, got set for bed, and sat there, thinking about how i could possibly fall asleep with so many thoughts running around.

——— ⋆୨୧ ₊゚

ONCE I CAME HOME from school, i walked up the stairs and put my books and notebook down. i got out my homework and tried not to be distracted by my many thoughts about neil.

with my date only three days away, i couldn't help but be distracted. i got up from my french homework and sorted through my closet to try and do something helpful while wasting my time.

what could i possible wear?

i was still so sidetracked, that i could barely focus on this. i pulled out skirts and the few dresses i had and tried them on with different shoes and sweaters. nothing looked perfect but i figured something out eventually.

i went back to finish my french homework and, eventually, got it done. i had adjusted to school pretty well and i knew i would be fine going there for the rest of the year. i heard a knock on my door. it was uncle john telling me that dinner was ready and i came downstairs.

we talked about our days and i tried not to bring up neil. i couldn't stop smiling, and i tried to hide it with my napkin and looking down, but i knew he could obviously see it.

——— ⋆୨୧ ₊゚

I LISTENED TO THE radio and sat on my bed. today had been particularly boring. no one from school had asked me to do anything this weekend, so i was all alone while john was at a meeting at welton.

i moved around on my bed so i sat upside down, my hair dangling close to the floor. i didn't want to read over the weekend and i didn't have anymore work to do.

"i don't want no other love," elvis sang from my brown clock-radio. then, i thought that now would be the perfect time. i was home alone and i hadn't been able to smoke for weeks. i checked outside of the window and john was still at his meeting. slowly, i took the first one out of the new carton i had picked up at the corner store and grabbed the lighter next to it. i lit it and walked back over to my bed.

i sat on my bed for a while just listening to music. the cigarette was burning and i felt perfectly fine for the first time since i had been here. i didn't care about smoking and i didn't care about my parents. for once, i felt happy to be sitting alone in my room.

i didn't mind where i was anymore. it would be a waste of time to be upset by it and knew that i should just get over it now.

———
✉️: ꒰ 𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐬 ꒱ؘ ࿐ ࿔*:・
kind of a filler chapter, so i'm sorry about that. :p