𝑰𝑽.

CHAPTER FOURthe red bell
——— ⋆୨୧ ₊゚♡ ⊹ɞ ——

I WOKE UP to my clock radio that i set yesterday going off and got up slowly. i made my bed, tucking in my comforter, fixing my pillowcases, and folding my blankets.

i felt extremely groggy, but i knew i would be fine after a few minutes. or maybe an hour. i went to the bathroom and washed my face. i brushed my teeth too, maybe for a few more minutes than i should have. i went back to the room to put on my clothes, then went back to the bathroom to adjust them and fix my hair. i brushed it and put it in two braids. when i looked decent, i headed downstairs to get breakfast.

the smell of coffee was pungent as i sat down at the table. uncle john sat across from me, his briefcase laying against his foot. it was both of our first days and i could tell that he and i were equally as nervous. i gave him a small side smile, and then looked down at the table

"good morning. first day." he asked, putting down the paper that he was reading. i think he knew that i was upset last night and he was trying to make me feel better. i wasn't really hungry, i think i started to get really nervous about the thought of being back in school. a brand new school at that. i didn't know who anyone was, or even where i was.

i went back upstairs to grab my coat and school things. i looked at myself in the mirror as i passed by on my way out, and gave myself a not-so reassuring smile. i went back downstairs and john was waiting by the door.

"are you going to walk to school?"

i nodded, i thought about this last night when i couldn't sleep. i would walk to school, and even though it would get cold soon, i knew i would learn to like it.

"be safe, it's just a few blocks down."

"have a good day," i said as i walked out the door and down the steps of the small patio. i could hear him faintly say it back. i just kept walking to school. i could hear his car start and, soon after, speed down the road in the opposite direction.

school started at eight. i had a little bit of time to think to myself. i was trying to relax for school, but all i could think about was that i walked down this sidewalk with a boy just less than 12 hours prior.

i knew the school was on maple street so i only had a few blocks to walk. when i passed the convenience store, i quickly rushed passed, trying to suppress the grin that was plastered across my red face.  i tried not to think too much about it, i didn't want to be distracted on the first day.

there were only a few more blocks, and my mind was fully clear. not a single thought passed through. either there was nothing more to think about, or i went out of my way to not think of anything.

i was on walnut street.

then oak street.

only a block until i was at the school, i looked down at my watch and i had ten minutes to get there. that was fine but i didn't want to have to worry about being late.

a few cars drove past me, and i only felt them by the whips of cold air passing by.

it was a chilly late-summer day and the sun was peeking through the trees at this point. it was nice, especially for one of the last day of august. i was on maple street, and i could see the large high school building ahead. it was a public school, but it was still very nice. on the outside, at least

i walked some more, until i was quickly climbing up the stairs of the building. i had my schedule shoved in my composition notebook, but i had memorized some of it already. after looking at lots of class numbers, i made it to my first class. english. i sat down in a seat, just like a a few other people were. a few more people were shuffling into the room.

class started in a few minutes and most of the seats were all full. when most of the chatter had ceased, a loud red bell rang. i kept checking my watch nervously, the time going too slow.

"okay, welcome to your first day. i'm ms. bowers, your english teacher for the year," she said, at the front of the class. she took attendance and continued on.

she continued with her introduction, while asking us to get out our american literature books. some shuffling was heard, mine was already on my desk. we opened it to the first page, and she asked for someone to read the introduction.

a girl a few desks over read the introduction slowly. i tried not to zone out looking at the words on my page and started to read ahead. the girl mumbled out the last few words and raised her head up from her book.

"what is american literature?" our teacher asked us after. no one raised their hand.

"we all just read about it, come one, i know you know it," she continued on. a few people raised there hands a few inches up.

she pointed to a girl in the third row, restating her question.

"literature that is written and produced in america," she said reading most of the words from the book.

"yes, but it's more than that."

oh my god.

"what is american literature?" she continued on, "why do we need it?" i made sure not to raise my hand. even if i got it right, i would look stupid. she saw a boy start to raise his hand carefully and pointed at him. just like she had with the other girl.

"to provide background on the culture of america," he stated question-like.

"yes, without early american literature, we wouldn't know much about early life, would we?" i decided not to answer any questions at all so i didn't look like a dork. most of class continued on like this. her asking simple questions and going into detail about the obvious answers.

the bell finally rang and the teacher walked back to her desk to greet the next class. i had chemistry next, one of my favorite classes.

our teacher quickly told us to sit down and get out our books. we flipped open to the first unit and started reading about "chemistry of life"

———
✉️: ꒰ 𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐬 ꒱ؘ ࿐ ࿔*:・゚
filler chapter. the next few chapters should be better!