05

Will woke up around 8:30 with the sun beaming in his face. He never woke up this early but then remembered he fell asleep at like 9:00. He felt well-rested, I mean who wouldn't after 11 hours of sleep? Will decided to get up from under the covers, attempting not to wake up the sleeping boy on the floor, and call Max. As weird as it seems, the two of them got really close after he left. He had no idea if she was awake or not but decided to call anyway. It rang for a few seconds but then a familiar voice picked up the phone.
"Hello? Who is this?" The voice said. Will could tell clear enough that it was Billy. He knew Billy was a grade A homophobe.
"H-hi, this is Will Byers. I-is Max up?" Will stuttered.
"Who the fuck is Will— oh you're the little gay one aren't you?" Billy snorted.
"Is Max awake or not?" Will demanded. He was pissed people only known him as "The Gay Friend" though it was very true.
     "Yeah, she's around." he laughed, "Hey Max! Your little queer friend is on the phone!" he called.
     "I have a name." Will stated. He had a strong hatred for Billy, not just for this reason but he's not a good person in general. Before Billy could even respond to him, Max took the phone.
     "Hey Will!" She cheered. She hadn't talked to him in over a week.
     "Hey! Your brothers an asshole," Will spoke.
     "Believe me, I know," She snorted. "Try living with him," She continued.
     "I'd rather not," Will chuckled. "Also why are you up so early? You're never up this early," Will questioned.
     "Oh, we all are going on some stupid road trip to who knows where," Max replied. "So, did you tell him?" She asked excitedly.
     "Absolutely not. He's been spending all of his time with Eleven," Will replied.
     "Eleven knows, doesn't she?" Max asked.
     "Obviously, but that doesn't make anything better. Like what if he thinks I'm a freak or some weirdo, what if he doesn't want to be my friend? That would just be twice as embarrassing if she was there," Will responded.
     "Will, come on, I think you're overthinking this!" Max exclaimed, in an excited way.
     "I don't know," Will sighed, "I'm so confused, I don't know what I want anymore," He continued.
     "You do want Mike that's for sure," Max joked. Will turned red.
     "Shut up!" He whisper yelled in a playful way. Max laughed.
     "Maxine!" Will heard a faint voice call through the phone.
     "Shit, I gotta go but I'll talk to you later!" Max exclaimed.
    "Bye!" Will quickly said before hanging up. He was lucky to have Max as a friend. He felt safe with her. He could joke and be himself around her and she would never judge him. He loved her, platonically of course. They told each other everything. Max was even the first person Will had came out to, she was obviously very supportive.
     "Hey, hun, you're up early!" He heard a voice call from behind him. He turned around to see his mom, smiling a sweet smile. She kissed his forehead as she walked past him.
     "Morning, Mom!" He said returning the smile.
     "Why are you down here?" She questioned, still smiling.
     "Oh I was just talking to Max," He said as he smiled wider.
     "Ooo, what'd you guys talk about? Boys?" She teased and nudged him with her elbow.
     "No! Mom! Just normal teen stuff, like magazines and stuff!" He lied, defensively, still smiling, Joyce chuckled heading to the kitchen to cook.
     "So, pancakes?" She asked. Will nodded and sat at the table. He started thinking what could go so wrong if he did end up telling him? I mean, he had to tell him at some point in time, he couldn't bottle up his feelings forever, could he? After all, Mike was his best friend. Wasn't he? What if he's just some homophobic jerk? What if—
His thoughts were interrupted by thumping coming from the stairs, and his mom telling him to come help set up plates. Eleven and Mike came down and sat a the table.
"Good morning, Mrs. Byers," Mike exclaimed followed by Eleven saying the same, but instead of Mrs. Byers, she instead said 'Mom'.
Will handed them both a plate, each stacked with 2 pancakes with syrup and butter on top, followed by a "thank you" from each of them. Will just nodded without saying anything. He then grabbed his own plate thanking his mom.
Will looked over at Mike and Eleven, who he saw had already started eating, then just looked at Mike. He just stared at him for a while, studying his face and all his features. How dark his eyes were, how curly his hair was, how freckled his face was, and how pink his lips were.
"Will?" Eleven called in a singy-songy voice noticing him staring. His face turned bright red. He looked at her and she just looked at him, trying to hold her laugh with her eyebrows raised.
"Wh- Huh?" Will stammered, still really red.
"I was just saying how you've recently showed me some of your best drawings!" Eleven exclaimed still giving him that same look.
"Oh- Oh yeah, they aren't that good, really," He said turning even redder, if that was even possible.
Finally, the never-ending breakfast was finally over. Joyce had went upstairs to take a shower, then Will overheard Eleven saying, "..yeah you do that, i'm gonna go.. use the bathroom." Will turned to her and she glanced at him with a face saying, make your move. He didn't know she was standing there behind the wall, listening. It was already upcoming to be almost 12:00pm so why not ask him now?
"Hey.." Will said awkwardly, walking up to Mike, who was in the fridge grabbing a water.
"Hey!" He shot back, closing the fridge and his eyes locking with Wills—. Wills palms got sweaty, and felt his face heating up.
"I was just wondering if— I mean since we haven't really hung out since you got here, I wanted to know if you maybe wanted to see the new movie that just came out with me, tonight." Mike broke eye contact with Will suddenly looking at the floor. "I— it seems really cool and—" Mike cut him off not knowing he did.
"Im really sorry, Will but I was gonna ask El if—" Will was the one to cut him off this time. He had enough. His heart sank to his stomach. He embarrassed himself again.
"Funny how you always seem to have plans with El all of the times I've tried to hang out with you." Will snapped turning around, about to leave. Mike looked shocked.
"What's that supposed to mean?" Mike questioned him with an eyebrow raised. Will turned back around to face him.
"Oh my God. You're really clueless aren't you?" Mike turned red, he didn't know if it was of embarrassment or the fact that he was being yelled at by Will Byers for the first time ever. "That means your bullshit excuses are used every time I try to hang out with you!" Will yelled about to walk out of the door.
"What excuses?!" Mike argued grabbing Wills arm waiting for his response.
"What excuses? Mike! Do you even hear yourself? Your excuse, every single time is always, Eleven." Mike just looked at him, trying to process what he just said, though it was not that hard. Will was right. "It's always 'Sorry I have plans with Eleven!' 'I'm watching a movie with Eleven!' 'i'm doing this and that with Eleven!' and she's always two fucking feet away from you! It's getting old. At least find a new excuse." Will snarled with his face and eyes full with anger and sadness. He saw Mikes face. It was just as shocked as he was.
He never cursed, not ever like that. He then saw Eleven walk around the corner standing behind Mike having the same look the boys had. Will pulled away from Mikes grip and looked him straight in the eyes with tears welling up. He knew he couldn't cry. Not yet.
"Just, don't come looking for me begging for forgiveness. It's pathetic." Will said firmly, still visibly upset at him. And with that, he put his shoes and jacket on and bolted to the garage. If he had stayed in there a second longer, he would've heard Eleven.
"Mike," She started firmly, "you can't give the boy 2 hours of your life? You don't understand how much he really missed you. You messed up." She continued.
"How- Wh- How— How do I fix this?" Mike exclaimed still facing the door.
"You oughta know, Mike. You've known him longer." Eleven said, walking up to her room. She was right. She always was. Mike put on his jacket and shoes on as quickly as he could, bolting out the door, trying to catch Will before he peddled off.

A/N: This is longer than usual, and I'm actually really proud of this. Thank you guys for 100 reads omg. The next chapter will be out asap! Word Count: 1550

- Jan 8th, 2022, 2:30 am <3