Sakura arched an eyebrow. "You really think they'd try and walk explosives right through the front door?"

"It's possible, but highly unlikely."

"Well then why would -"

"There may not be any explosives making their way through the front door," Kakashi interjected, shifting his gaze in the direction the village entrance, "but, there may be people - or perhaps, a person - who might show up to prematurely bask in what he undoubtedly believes will be a resounding victory..."

Sakura's eyes widened. "Wait...you're talking about the Yahagi gang's leader..."

"Exactly." Kakashi replied; his gaze landed on the pink-haired girl once more as he bent down and placed a hand on her head. "Your clones are to handle disabling the explosives, while you keep an eye on the front door and stay ready to alert in case Mr. Yahagi decides to show up. Are you up for it?"

"Is that even a question? Of course I'm up for it!"

"Great! Glad to hear it." The silver-haired jonin stood up straight then, shoving his hands into his pockets. "There's a visitor checkpoint about 50 feet away from the entrance, along the left side of the main road. You'll be within earshot and have a clear view of the gates and the surrounding area from there."

"Understood. You can count on me, sensei."

"I certainly hope so..."

"Hey! What's that supposed to mean?!"

"Nothing, nothing..."

- END FLASHBACK -

Sakura huffed in delayed frustration, her hand tightening into a white-knuckled fist around the kunai in her grasp.

"Sensei can be such a jerk...was he seriously doubting me?!" she grumbled quietly. "Honestly, you'd have to be a massive idiot to ruin a mission as simple as this one."

She doubled down in her efforts then, zealously scouring every inch of the area under her patrol and keeping her ears open for anything approaching the entrance to the village.

Well I am NOT an idiot...pretty sure Naruto has that title locked up. She huffed again as she slid closer to the short barrier surrounding the building's rooftop and peered over. Kakashi-sensei will never doubt me again when this is over - I'll make sure of it! ...And as for idiot Naruto...

Her frustration deepened in that moment; a deep frown overtook her expression as her fist shook with the force at which she clenched her weapon.

I bet he won't be so keen on blatantly ignoring me when he discovers that I've completed my mission more efficiently than he ever could! CHA!

"Yeah, I'm sure he won't."

Sakura bit off her startled shriek before it could reverberate through the air and immediately ducked behind the rooftop barrier. Oh crap!! Did I say that out loud?! Who even was that?! And how could anyone even hear me from up here anyway?!?

"Even with the threat of his pathetic little village being blown sky high, I'm willing to bet that he'll STILL try to resist the inevitable! That damn decrepit old fool!"

"Boss, please keep your voice down. We have no idea if any of these villagers are still outside and within earshot..."

A muted gasp escaped her then. Wait a minute... Tugging her hood as far over her cherry blossom hair as it would go, she slowly peeked over the barrier toward the village entrance. Her eyes widened when they landed upon two men standing just outside the gates, neither of whom appeared to be making any real attempt to conceal their presence. You've got to be kidding me...