THIRTY-TWO| Cuore mio

Start from the beginning

The blanket is pulled up around me as I hug her pillow to my chest. I breathe in her scent, sighing as my heart clenches.

My sweet girl.

**✿❀ ❀✿**

"Ugh. What the fuck?" I groan, holding my head, a ringing in my ear, my head feeling heavy.

"Hurts doesn't it." Callan's loud voice rings through my ear as he extends a plate of toast and a glass of water towards me. "Helps with the hangover."

Did I die and come back? That's what this shit feels like.

I subconsciously look to my left, thinking I'll see her sleeping next to me, hearing her angelic weird fuckin' snores but all I see is empty unfilled space.

My heart breaks at the empty spot next to me.

"I don't want to eat." I get up, heading to the washroom. After brushing my teeth and taking a piss, I finally head out.

Callan sits on the couch, busy with his phone. I topple down next to him.

I let out a deep breath, my chest aching as he speaks up. "Talked to Marco." I tense up, my head whipping in his direction. "Said she's been crying non stop since they got out of here. But she's okay. She's safe, I mean."

I'm a piece of shit.

"What were you thinking? Lying about her parents?"

"You saw how she was when we first found her. She couldn't hear about her parents death. She wouldn't be able to handle it." I purse my lips in frustration.
"I was gonna tell her though. I was gonna tell her soon. I fucking forgot about the will."

He sighs, patting Rain's head. "That makes sense."

"Call her. From your phone." I spit out.

I want to hear her voice. I need to hear her voice.

My heart dances in my chest at the mere anticipation of her voice. My body aches for her. For her voice, her scent, her touch. Her mere presence.

Callan shakes his head, opening his mouth to disapprove but I beat him to it. "Call her, Callan. I'm not your bestfriend right now, I'm your Don."

He sighs, pressing on her contact, putting it on speaker.

It rings. And rings. And rings. It rings for so long, I don't think she's gonna pick up. But then, it stops, all silent for a second before her voice warms my heart.

"Hello?"

I sit up straight, motioning my hands for Callan to talk.

"Hey, Isabella. How are you doing?"

It stays quiet for a few moments before she answers. "I'm okay." Her tender, devastated voice rips my heart in half.

I wanna hug her. I want to make her feel better. I want to stop her crying but this was all my fault to begin with.

She sniffles as I run my hand down my face, lighting a cigarette and taking a puff.

"Did you know? Were you a part of it?"

Callan looks at me, glaring at tthe cigarette in my hand before looking back up for confirmation. I nod, telling him to just say the truth.

I blow out the smoke, watching him as he speaks.

"No. No, I didn't know Isabella." He lets out a breath. "He was just doing what he thought was best. You should ta-"

She interrupts him, her voice breaking. "I gotta go. Marco's calling me for breakfast. Thanks for calling. Have a go- have a good day." The last sentence leaves her lips as a cry, the sound ripping my heart apart once more.

Baby, don't cry. Don't cry, per favore. [please]

I take a puff of my cigarette, turning my head away from Callan as a tear streams down my face. The wetness burning my cheek.

This time my heart doesn't ache for her to come back. My heart doesn't ache because I miss her. My heart aches for what she's going through. My heart aches for everything that she feels. My heart aches because I'm not able to take away all her pain. My heart aches because I wish I could feel all her pain for her.

She deserves better. She deserves better than me. Fuck, than everything and everyone. She deserves so much fucking better.

My chest aches, my breathing shallow as I wipe my hand against my cheek.

"Just give her some time. Let her calm down." Callan says, his voice cautious like he's afraid one wrong move could break me.

I clear my throat, fighting against the urge to cough as I put out my cigarette in the plant next to me, heading to the washroom.

I start coughing as soon as I close the door, my chest aching intensely. I bend over the toilet, knowing what's about to come as feel pain in my upper back.

"Fuck." The blood taints the water in the toilet as I pant out for air.

Fuck, I can't breathe.

The door is suddenly opened, Callan gasping as he sees my laying with my back to the tub, blood dripping down my lips.

"What the fuck?"

"I'm okay." I pant out, trying to get up. However, the weakness in my legs force me back down. "Fuck!"

"Alessio, what's wrong with you? What is this?" Callan bends down beside me, wiping my mouth with a towel, his brows furrowed in concern.

"Nothing. Callan don't make it-"

"No." He shuts me up. "This is the second time. You either tell me what the fuck is up with you or I'm calling Isabella."

Fucking hell. She can't hear about this shit right now.

"Callan," I warn.

He pulls out his phone, giving me a glare. "I'm serious, Alessio. Tell me. What's wrong with you?"

I pause for a second weighing out my options.

Isabella can not hear about this.

"Alessio. Spill. Now!" Callan snaps me out of my thoughts.

I let out a breath, gazing up at him. "Cancer. I have lung cancer."

A/N
I know it's a short chapter, I promise the next ones will be longer.

... bestie I'm afraid to ask but, thoughts?