Cannibal-Chapter 4

Chapter-4

So we buried her. The sheet wrapped around her, in the middle of a sand desert, the monster inside me writhing and yowling in horror of what I was doing. It wasn't something I wanted to feel; it was totally out of my control.

We walked in silence for a couple of minutes, my feet dragging, purposely kicking up dust. My shoulders felt like a thousand pounds, weighing me down, making me feel especially sluggish. I look up to see Eric walking straight up, but his gun was dragging in the dirt.

My stomach growled. I haven't eaten for a while now, and I was feeling a little faint. Along with the monster in my head that wouldn't shut up. Why are you wasting your time? You could be done with him in a mere second. My common sense fought back I would have someone to be with. If I ever got hurt, I would be okay. Even that battle was going to be over soon if I didn't eat anything. Quickly.

I wasn't keeping my head up, so I had no idea where I was going. The road seemed to stretch on for miles, nothing in sight. I wasn't sure what to do, or what I could do for shelter tonight. 

"So where did you come from?" Eric asked dully.

I looked up, to see him staring at me thru his cracked glasses. He kept walking, but slowed down his pace 

to walk beside me. My stomach growled.

"Massachusetts."

"Then how did you get all the way here to North Carolina?"

"Walking."

"All the way? How long did that take you?"

"A couple months"

"You don't talk much do you?"

I looked down again. I didn't want to talk about how my life once was. I really didn't want to talk again until I've eaten. "No." I said bluntly.

"Don't you want to keep up a conversation?"

"Not really."

I stopped. I looked around and sensed something was near. I had no idea what exactly, but something was here.

"Why'd you stop? I'm hungry." Eric said gripping his stomach.

I looked around my eyes searching for the threat. My mind was already prepared for what I could do. What I would do.

Suddenly a horse appeared out of nowhere, running at full speed. It was galloping gracefully, its hair still long and flowing in the wind.

"Move Eric."

I lifted up the gun in my hand and shot it. Eric looked away, and you could see he was crying. "Come on Eric, don't be such a pansy."

I started walking towards the now dead horse as I heard Eric behind me sniffling. It was a harsh thing, I know, but we had to do it.

* * *

After we've eaten, and made a fire, we were both lying down and looking up at the stars. It was nice seeing the constellations, because when civilization existed, you couldn't see anything.

                "So what's your story anyway?" Eric asked.

                I looked at him debating whether to tell him or not. I shut my eyes and took a deep breath. 

                "I was born in Chicago in 2014. I never knew who my dad was, so it was just my mother and I. I lived there for the first ten years of my life, but we moved to Massachusetts when my mom lost her job.  Mom kept losing money paying for necessities, and eventually we ended up in a homeless shelter. I was 12 by then."

                I looked over to see Eric now full on staring at me. I didn't like how his gaze was complete pity and uncomforting. I didn't like to be someone you felt sorry for. 

                "So I started to look for a job to help my mother. I-"

                "You were only twelve! You're not supposed to be looking for jobs, you're supposed to be going to school!"

"But I didn't ok? So, moving on, I saw an ad in a paper for genetic testing. I applied and was accepted into the program because they wanted a child. I was paid two-hundred everytime they did anything. It was a long time before my mother found out. It was two years later, and I had about 10,000 dollars so that we could finally have somewhere to live. When she found out about how i got it, she stopped me from continuing to go."

I heard a gasp from beside me but i was too ashamed to look. I went on.

"When I went back to tell them I quit, them told me my DNA was so altered that I wasn't technically human anymore. After two months of quitting my appeite changed, and I started to hear  a voice. I never told my mom this, afraid that she wouldn't want to deal with a monster like me."

I felt so vunerlable and uneasy I got up. I heard footsteps behind me.

"Are you ok Amina?"

" I'm fine," I said my voice weary. I wiped my eyes, although I know I couldn't have tears anymore. I sure felt like crying.

" The pamdemic  then happened. Soon she became sick, and died, just like the rest of the population. I was 14 when I started to travel."   

I gulped, and I turned around. In front of me was a mask of pity.

"Don't you dare feel sorry for me. I'll kick your ass if you do. Now come on, let's get some sleep."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sorry for taking so long, I had a bunch of stuff to do! anyways, tell me wat u think!