Chapter 2.2 The Key

AN HOUR PASSED and Troy came back. He parked his car and stepped out bringing paper bags containing food and other supplies. He was with a woman wearing a simple black shirt, and pants, and carrying a backpack. They went inside and were welcomed by the absence of serceana. He was alarmed and started to get worried as several possible scenarios ran through his mind. He rushed to the kitchen and put down the goods on the table. Then he climbed the stairs to check the attic.

"She's not here!" he said.

"I'm going to look around." The woman put down her backpack on the couch and searched the ground. She went through the backdoor leading to the backyard. There she saw a woman outside the fence, standing near the dense mangrove forest and looking at it. She knew right away she was the sercean they were looking for.

"Troy!" she called, "Troy, she's here!" She waited for him to come outside and together they approached her.

Asceia, on the other hand, already sensed their presence but she never turned around. She just looked at the root system and leaves of the mangroves, and the marine animals depending on it; admiring the ecosystem that was very crucial for the survival of each species. She was also listening to the sound of nature as it soothes her mind, giving her peace and guiding her to better decisions. And she heard their steps on the rocks and sand behind her.

"Did you know there are only a few of these mangrove forests on the coasts of the Philippines? Senticeans patrolling the waters keep reporting on the number of mangroves cut down every day and it was disappointing to hear. This forest acts as a barrier between the land and the ocean. These mangroves protect you from the strong winds and wave action, at the same time, they are the first line of defense of the ocean," she explained, "it's great to know that Fishing Village valued these forests so much."

"Yeah, the nearby college school implements mangrove planting activity every year here," Troy said.

She turned around and looked at the woman he was with. She never showed any facial reactions and kept her thoughts in her as she observed her.

Troy introduced her, "Hey, uhm... This is the woman that I told you about, Frejean. She's here to help."

"Hi! It's so nice to meet you!" Frejean offered her hand. "What's your name? Troy said he forgot to ask your name."

She took her hand and shook it, mimicking how humans gesture their greetings. Her mouth didn't open and no voice came out of her throat, but the two heard her speak through their minds, "Asceia of Family Sirencean."

Frejean was astonished by what she just experienced but she kept herself composed to avoid freaking her out. "I still can't believe it. It's pretty weird but amazing!" she said to Troy who smiled and gave her a told-you-so look. "Can you read my mind?" she asked.

"No... I can only do communication."

"Oh, wow!" she chuckled. "Sorry, I'm just so excited and I have a lot of questions!"

"Sorry to burst your bubbles, 'Jean, but we need to go back inside now so we can pack up."

"Wait, why? Where are we going?" asked Asceia.

"We can't stay here, not with all of these families around. We're going to my great-grandmother's place. It is a thirty-minute drive but it is worth it. The house has been abandoned for years. It is quiet and has no neighborhood. We will be safe there."

"But what about Leyrosa? I need to find her."

"Yes, I know. But we can set our base of operations there. We can't find Leyrosa if we keep on running with no plan or direction. We need to lay low, investigate, and plan our moves."

"Alright."

"Okay, let's go."

°°••°°

THEY PACKED UP their things quickly and hit the road. They took the shortcut instead of the main road which only a few would access because of how rough it was. When they reached the main road, they switched cars with Troy's friend and continued driving until they stopped at the town's border. They entered a small Barangay with very few farmer inhabitants. After minutes of driving under the tall coconut field, they finally arrived at their destination. They stopped right in front of the gate of the tall chain-link fence covered in vines.

Troy stepped outside and removed some vines on the lock. He used his key to unlock the gate and pushed it wide open enough for the car to enter. He went back and continued driving, and there, Asceia and Frejean saw the old wooden house that still stood. Fruit trees were surrounding and filling the wide yard, along with tall grasses. 

"There's electricity and internet. This is a perfect place," Troy said.

"Sometimes, I forgot how rich you are," Frejean commented.

Troy chuckled. "Okay, hold on. I'm not rich. These things I have were owned by my parents. Please, I work at the convenience store with a minimum wage."

The car was parked near the entrance. They all stepped outside, breathed the fresh air, and fed their eyes with the calming colors of nature. Troy led the women and brought their things inside. Opening the doors, they were welcomed by a very dusty floor, thick cobwebs on every corner, and furniture covered with white cloth. The place was huge and old, yet the foundation and the woods used were still strong.

"We don't need to clean everything since we are not going to stay here forever. We just need the room near the balcony."

°°••°°

IT WAS DARK when they finally settled down in a room filled with three beds. Troy and Frejean were on the balcony, under the night sky full of stars with a small lamp illuminating their drinks and foods placed above the small circular plastic table.

"I didn't know they could take a bath," Frejean said, pertaining to Asceia in the bathroom.

"I asked Leyrosa about that before and she explained that freshwater doesn't react to their skin. Only saltwater activates their transformation."

Frejean nodded. "That makes sense... I wonder what they look like when they transform."

"Me too." Troy picked up the bottle of soda and sipped. "How did you convince your mother to come with us?"

"I didn't. I just told her I'm away for a field activity---which is somewhat true." She grinned. "I'm here to learn more about her and help her at the same time. How about you, Troy? This is so unlikely of you, risking your life for her."

"It's Leyrosa...she was my friend and I owe it to her. With her, I can put my abilities to good use. Plus, I could make my parents proud after I helped save her kind. We could be heroes like in action movies. Besides, this job gives me excitement, I feel happy again...you know what I mean, right? This for sure will distract me for a while."

"Yeah... I get it. But you know, if you need someone to talk to. You can always talk to me, don't forget that."

"Thanks, 'Jean."