Opening her closet to change, Syl sighed at the clothes she had. Everything was hand-picked by her mother. She was advised to be a dainty and demure woman, because she said it was more appealing, she said it was sexier—a demure woman with a wild side could seduce Izaak easily, she said.

Syl bit her lower lip to stop her tears from falling. She sucked it in and went to the bathroom. When she stepped out, she was surprised to see her husband inside the room, but she was not surprised to see him packing. I'm sure he's going to the island again.

Taking a deep breath, Syl readied herself and sat on the edge of the bed.

I can't and won't seduce him, but I can do other things. She didn't want to be hit by her father anymore the next time she was called. She didn't want to be slapped and talk down to again. She just needed a little break and she could lie and pretend just to get that break.

When Izaak saw his wife crying, he blew out a loud irritated breath knowing what was coming next—her annoying speech and her guilt-tripping. And he was right. When Syl opened her mouth, her annoying speech started.

"I need money, Izaak, and I won't let you say no." She glared at him while crying. "If you didn't agree to this marriage, we wouldn't be here in the first place. If you didn't agree, I would be still working, providing for myself, but because you agreed, I was kicked out! I need money! Not allowance, but money! I'm your wife!"

Izaak gritted his teeth and threw a signed and blank cheque at Syl. "Beat yourself up." Zipping his duffel bag, he stormed out of the room and left his wife inside.

Meanwhile, Syl dried her tears when Izaak left the room, and her eyes settled on the cheque Izaak threw on the floor.

Biting her lip and swallowing all her pride, she leaned down and picked up the cheque. She wanted nothing more than to crumple it, but she calmed herself and thought of the amount that would not bother Izaak, but would keep her parents happy for a while.

Genuine tears fell from her eyes. One by one. One tear after another until she could no longer breathe and had to breathe through the paper bag that she always kept in her bag just in case.

Alone in that cold room, Syl was on the floor, breathing deeply and heavily through the paper bag to calm down and stay breathing and alive.

GIVING THE CHEQUE to her parents, Syl felt relieved when she saw them happy. Happy parents meant no pain for her—no slaps and painful words. And that was enough to make Syl happy. It was more than enough.

"I should go," Syl said and stood up. "I need to return to Izaak's house."

Her father smiled, pleased. "Yes. Take care of Izaak. Give him whatever he needs, even if you have to bend and beg."

Syl just nodded silently and left, but when her mother followed her outside, she had a bad feeling already. And she was always right.

"Syl."

Nilingon ni Syl ang ina. "Yes, Mom?"

"Thank you for giving money to your father." Napakabait ng boses nito, napakalambing, pero alam na alam ni Syl ang nakakalason na ugali ng ina. "He needs it. And now, it's my turn to ask, right?" Nang hindi sumagot si Syl, humigpit ang hawak ng ina nito sa braso nito na parang gusting baliin 'yon. "Noong huli akong bumisita sa bahay ni Izaak, maraming mamahaling kagamitan doon. There's this beautiful vase that is surely expensive. Why don't you sell it and buy me the luxury bag I've been hoping to get my hands on? Ayaw bilhin ng dad mo para sa 'kin ang bag, pero mayroon na ang kumare ko. Hindi puwedeng wala ako ng bag na 'yon kaya naman sa 'yo ko na lang hihilingin. Madali lang naman, 'di ba 'nak? Mas mahirap pa ang ipanganak ka at alagaan. I gave up my freedom for you, you know that, right, Syl? You owe me that much."