A curious thing happened to her as she talked. For the first time ever, she felt detached, uninvolved, as if the people she was talking about were strangers.

"There was a head-on collision. Our car was a total wreck and I came out of it with a bruise on the cheekbone and a broken wrist. People called it a miracle I survived. Kiefer was killed outright, so was the driver of the other car."

She talked on without pain or emotion of any kind, telling Vic the details as she remembered them, patchy though they were.

"I can't decide which is worse," Mika said at length, "I mean, you lost your wife after 3 years, but you had those three years with her. I had... But maybe it was better that way. Maybe it would have been worse if I'd had..."

"Don't do that, Mika. Neither you nor I can answer that question, so do not try. Love is not something you can measure in time or by pouring into a bucket to see how much there is."

Mika gave out a soft laughter which left a smile at her lips, making it impossible for Vic to take her eyes off of her. "How complicated life could get if one could do that."

Vic smile was wry. "But if we could, I'd say that your bucket will be filled to the brim when you discover love all over again. You'll remarry, given the time."

The smile faded from the secretary's lips... from her eyes too! "I doubt that very much."

"I said in time. You'll see."

"Can you envisage yourself remarrying, Vic?"

"Envisage?" She chuckled. "I have every intention of doing so." Then she laughed and picked up her cup and saucer and rattled them, laughing even more at the look on her secretary's face.

"Dear me!" Mika looked heavenward. "Could that possibly mean you are still thirsty?" She poured more coffee and they talked on and on. It was only when the clock chimed on the hour that she realized how late it was... and that she had virtually told her boss her life story. She shut up at once, almost embarrassed at the way she had chattered on about herself. But Vic prompted her... she had encouraged her... as she sat back and done most of the listening.

"Vic, it is four o'clock in the morning!"

"So what? You don't have to get up early for work today."

"No. But you do."

"My dear, Mika, I don't have to do any such thing."

She was right, off course. Nevertheless, she got up quickly.

"I fear I have bored you to death, Vic. All at once, you can't wait to get away."

Vic Galang looked at her... every inch of her, deeply disturbed by the picture she made. How unaware she was of her beauty, sitting there like that, her long legs curled under her, the swirl of dark hair when she toss her head back, laughing, the incredible gray eyes...

The boss thought she ought to go... she ought to go... NOW! The self-discipline, the self-control which was so much a part of her nature was slipping, has been eroding steadily tonight with every thick of the clock.

Vic smiled to herself... at herself. The erosion had not started tonight, not by any means. She had wanted this woman for a long time... had looked at her a dozen times a day and wanted to make love to her there and then--- anywhere, anytime, all the time...

"I wish you would say something." Mika looked up at her boss, laughing a little uncertainly. "Your silence is confirming what I said."

"Is it? Then it just goes to show how wrong you can be." Vic bent suddenly to take hold of her hands, pulling her to her feet.