Chapter One - Alright

Snowflake's eyes slowly blinked open to see Fox staring at her worriedly. The spotted dragon seemed to relax as she saw Snowflake awaken.

    "Thank the moons you're alright. Does anything hurt?" Fox scanned Snowflake's scales worriedly.

    "What do you mean, 'am I alright?', I'm f-" Snowflake stopped talking as she noticed her injured wing, bandaged and tucked close to her. She was in a healing room.

    "Oh."

    Fox sighed and hung her head, "I'm sorry, Snowflake, I should've stopped them. It all happened so fast. As soon as I realized you were in danger, well, it was too late." She closed her eyes.

    "Hey," Snowflake leaned forward and took Fox's head in her talons, "It's not your fault. There was nothing you could do. And I heard the threats you called out to them before I blacked out. I'm proud." She laughed softly.

    Fox sighed and straightened up, "You're right, I shouldn't beat myself up over this." She smiled at Snowflake, which sent chills down her spine, "But you're alright. That's what's important now."

    They were silent for a moment, each enjoying the other's company. Then Snowflake turned to look at her injury. It was numb, but she still felt an ache inside of her.

    "Will I ever fly again?"

     Fox hesitated, furrowing her brow, "I won't lie. The healers said that it would be nearly impossible for you to fly with a membrane that damaged. I'm sorry." She added sympathetically.

    Snowflake dug her claws into the ice below her. How could this happen? How could she have let this happen? She wanted to fly across the continent and slit that stupid NightWing's throat. But she couldn't. She couldn't even if she was allowed outside of the Ice Kingdom.

Tears formed at her eyes and she swallowed to force them down.

"There's nothing wrong with crying, Snowflake." Fox squeezed Snowflake's talon and she gave into the tears, leaning into Fox's chest.

"Shhhh, there, let it all out. You're going to be okay. You're one of the strongest dragons I've ever met. You'll survive this."

Snowflake cried. She cried until she couldn't anymore. She had never felt like this before, she had never been able to let her emotions out like this. IceWing dragonets we're taught that feelings made a dragon weak. That if they wanted to get to the top of the rankings, they had lock up their emotions and obey those who ranked above them.

Her grief began to fade away, and Fox asked her, "Are you alright now?"

"Yes, I think so." She slowly pulled away from Fox, wiping her tears and looking up at the beautiful dragoness, "Thank you."

"She hurt you so much, didn't she? I'll never let her touch you again."

Snowflake smiled and pulled Fox closer.

A healer walked in and halted as he saw that Snowflake was awake. Then he turned around and left.

"What was that?" Snowflake questioned.

"Chill is a deaf healer-in-training. They're going to fetch their mentor, Bear to check on you now that you're awake.

A larger IceWing came inside. He had a large build and a scar on his face that would've made him look intimidating if it weren't for the gentle look on his face.

"You're awake. How do you feel?"

"Before you do anything," Fox butt into the conversation, "Get her something to eat. She hasn't had a full meal in over twenty-four hours."

"Yes, Princess Snowfox." Bear nodded and headed out of the room, dragging Chill with him.

"Fox, you didn't have to do that. Really, I'm fine." Snowflake said, right before her stomach let out a huge growl.

"Uh huh." Fox looked down her nose at her, amused, "You barely ate any breakfast this morning. Then Arctic and Foeslayer escaped and you've been unconscious since then. It's been almost two days since you've eaten, don't act like you aren't starved."

"Fine, I guess I am a little hungry. But just a little!"

Fox rolled her eyes, "Whatever you say, Flake."

"Hey!" Snowflake laughed, "Don't be a walrus tusk in front of me, Princess. You may be a royal, but I'm in the First Circle too!"

    Fox chuckled, "You sound like my mother."

     Snowflake gasped, "Don't compare me to that half-melted snowball!"

     Fox puffed up her spikes in shock, "Did you just call the queen of the IceWings a HALF-MELTED SNOWBALL?! Why I might as well move you to the Seventh Circle if you continue to speak like that, young lady!"

    "Do it." Snowflake challenged her.

     Fox groaned, leaning against the counter dramatically, "Oh, no. It's happening. Your attitude is taking over the throne AND MY LIFE! Goodbye, Queen Diamond; Long live Queen Snowfox!" She collapsed with her tongue hanging out of her mouth, then broke character with a huge snort that sent both of them into laughter.

    Neither of them noticed as Chill slipped inside and set a raw rabbit next to Snowflake, then headed back out quietly.