2: New Neighbor

Your mom came in and took one look at you with the blankets over your head and let out a deep sigh of disappointment. You could almost hear her rolling her eyes. She forged her way over to your window and pulled the curtains open as you groaned.

Mom: "You know, you can't just lay in bed forever. You're 18 years old and eventually will need to grow up and act like it."

You tossed the covers aside and sat up, fixing your hair. You really didn't want to argue so you offered:
"Yes, I know that. I have a job interview tomorrow at the Italian restaurant in town."

Mom: "That'd be awesome. I run into Tayler's family there all the time."

You knew exactly what your mom was getting at and didn't want any part of it. Your parents were friends with the Holders and envied their lavish lifestyle. You knew it was pointless to try to change their opinion of anyone in that family so you'd kept the truth of why you broke up a secret. You had envisioned telling them the sordid details of the girls Tayler had cheated on you with and how you caught him in the act the most recent time, hoping that it would end with your Mom holding you while you cried and your dad storming out to find the little punk. You couldn't bring yourself to do that, though because the fear of the opposite happening and your parents blaming you was just too scary. You were starting to regret it the more they pushed you to get back with him, though. 

You slipped on your shoes and headed downstairs then out the door, shouting out:
"I'm gonna check the mail!"

You plowed through the open door before turning back completely and nearly knocked over the boy standing in your way. 

You: *shouting in frustration*
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUT-"

Chase: *interrupting you with a shy smile*
"I'm Chase, your neighbor. Your parent's mail got delivered to my house by mistake."

He was tall with dark, floppy hair and a smile that resembled more of a smirk

He was tall with dark, floppy hair and a smile that resembled more of a smirk. You were completely shell-shocked. Mostly by the collision, but this boy was way too cute to have forgotten... he must be new to the neighborhood. You peaked your head around him and didn't notice a sold sign in front of his house before reminding yourself that you'd been gone for months and all sorts of things had probably changed. 

Chase: "You good, kiddo? No harm, no foul, right?"

You: "I- Uh- Yeah, I'm good. Sorry, I'm awkward but yeah, I'm good." 

Chase shyly tried to tuck his hair behind his ear even though it was just barely too short. That was a sign that he must have recently cut his hair. You were lost in visions of how his blue eyes and baby face might look different with a longer, floppier hairstyle when he reached his hand out to hand you the pile of mail and brought you right back to reality. 

Should we think we have a shot with Chase for a while? Or get friend-zoned right away and onto the dates? Remember to vote here in the comments or on tiktok before the next chapter goes up!!