┊zhongli -3

when you had woken the blinds were already pulled up and your door was till. ganyu has already been in, you thought.

you slowly rose from the bed, wiping the sleep out of your eyes. today was the day, but to be honest you were anxious. what would zhongli say after seeing you again? would he even be there?

your head flopped back down on the pillow, not wanting to face your problems. a knock sounded on the door, "are you awake?" ganyu pushed the door open more, seeing your defeated figure on the bed. "don't tell me you're having second thoughts?"

she read you well. "do i have to go?" you lazily replied. she sat on the edge of your bed, "yes! you have to." "he won't even be there, how are you so sure he will be?" you complained.

she fidgeted with her fingers, "well- i, might've ... talked-" you sat up from the bed in a hurry, " you what!" you said in disbelief. she laughed nervously, "anyways!.. he'll be there." your cheeks had warmed up, zhongli knew everything now.

"i'll be going! tell me if you need help getting ready later" she gave you a cheeky smile before popping out the door. oh my god, you thought. your nerves were on fire.

-

it was later in the day now and you were returning back to ganyu's home, after taking a trip to wanmin restaurant to prepare a gift for her as thanks for your stay. the clouds had darkened and the city was lighting up, everyone was excited for the events that would take place in 2 hours.

except for you, the dread and misery from yesterday had affected your expectations for today. not only were you going alone but you had also confessed for no reason.

your feet dragged through the front door, while ganyu cheerily welcomed you back. she rushed into the hallway as you were setting a few bags down. "what are those?" she asked, curiosity gleaming in her eyes. "my thank you gift" you responded, making your way into the kitchen.

she followed you like a lost puppy, confused as to what was going on. you placed the bag on the table and uncovered the plate of universal peace, steam rising as chef mao had cooked it fresh.

her eyes lit up upon seeing what you'd gotten for her, "do you like this? i wasn't sure so i just-" "i love it!" she replied, eagerly staring into the depths of the plate. you chuckled, "well alright, you can eat while i go get changed."

her stare finally tore away from the tempting treat and landed on your face. she quickly embraced her arms tightly around your neck, "thank you thank you!" you smiled, patting her back. you'd never met anyone so easy to please.

after that you left ganyu alone and went upstairs, however it wasn't long before she came up to help you. for the next 2 hours you were put in every single outfit she had until the perfect one was found, fitting you snug but still comfortable. she did everything for you, and you were grateful.

following this, she practically pushed you out of the front door. your nerves had gotten the best of you. "go! i promise it'll be okay!" you hesitated for a moment, but found the courage again. "alright! i don't even need him! i can go on my own."

ganyu laughed at your self proclamation, while you made your way down to the harbour. "have a good time!" she yelled, finally.

-

the streets of liyue harbour were crowded, glowing lights were propped up on the edge of buildings, children were taught by alchemists the ways of xiao lanterns and several dancers playing with fire had taken to the makeshift stage.

you were enjoying yourself for the most part of it, trying out grilled tiger fish from the food vendors, clapping along with the songs being sung by neighbouring bards and taking in the whole atmosphere. everyone here was together, it felt like a family gathering more than just festival.

maybe this is what made you feel lonely. lonely enough that you had to go all the way to the gardens near bubu pharmacy to find some solitary space. you felt miserable, and you were mad at yourself for letting it come to this. it's just that you had hoped for so much more for today, so much things that would never happen.

you leaned your arms on the rail facing a view of the city. the longing had returned again.the feeling you never could shake, not when you were around him, not ever. you wanted him to love you back, but, obviously. he didn't.

you couldn't help the tears that formed, quietly rolling down with the wind that swept them away. your hands clenched the rail and your head tilted down. you were downhearted, truly.

why couldn't he love you? were you unlovable? these were thoughts that sprung to mind, unable to be pushed away. you couldn't help but be insecure, you'd loved him for so long without notice that it made the feeling of despair deeper.

a pair of arms gently wrapped around your neck from behind you, pulling you in a close embrace. "i'm so, so sorry." the voice was anguished, familiar and held a heavy tone of true sorrow.

your heart ached.

"i should've answered you, i apologise, truly." zhongli's head buried into the space between your neck and shoulder. "i didn't want" he paused, then started again.

"i can't say it."

you slowly turned around, your head still tilted down. his arms dropped from you, giving you space. he was wary and too cautious to touch you right now, he stepped back once.

you didn't know what to say. now that zhongli was here all you wanted was to leap into his arms and forget about tomorrow, but did he even feel the same way? despite your desperation, you managed to keep clear ground without looking at him.

"....what are you sorry about? and what can't you say? all you've been giving me is mixed signals. if that's all you wanted to say then i see no reason for me being here." you felt so, so cold for saying something like that. it was horrible.

"please, look at me. you haven't once." your brow gently furrowed with a sad expression, for you feared that if you looked at him in the eyes your knees would give way. he placed his ungloved hand warily on your cheek, gently enough that you might not have noticed. your eyes were still averted.

"please." zhongli's tone was desperate, more desperate than you.

what were you to do if he asked you like that?

slowly, you traced your eyes upon his figure before reaching his face. he let go of a breath when you finally set your stare on him.

his amber eyes were glowing like genuine gold, similar to xiao lanterns of tonight, his cheeks were lightly blushed, something that you'd never seen on him before, it was cute you thought. his lips were parted in disbelief, as if you'd never looked at him before.

you frowned, unwillingly. "i have a question" you finally said. "anything" he replied eagerly. well, here goes. "do you like me?" why did you always have to be the one to ask??

his expression softened, a warm smile with a slight dimple showed while his golden eyes gleamed with some feeling you did not know. you gazed at him, a little confused.

"i have loved you this entire time."

his endearing words took you back. you felt you could cry, but didn't want to in front of him. "you've never shown me any signs? and you didn't say anything when i asked you to go today." you repeated painfully.

he shook his head, "that time when you asked me, i was just." he cleared his throat, hesitating, "..scared." you almost laughed. "you? scared? i never knew you could be such a thing!" you added playfully. his thumb swiped over your cheek charmingly.

you threw your arms around him, laying your head on his chest. his arms found their way around your back, pulling you closer.

"do i deserve this happiness?" zhongli asked.

you pulled away, leaning in for a kiss. "of course you do"

a/n: hc ganyu hosts a party for the two in the end as their official matchmaker☻

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐄𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐁𝐍𝐈𝐒𝐒𝐄 -𝐠𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐧 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐭𝐬- 🎉