Meeting Prince Charming

Okay, lets get a couple things straight.

a. I'm not your average-teen. I don't stay up 'till 5 am partying every Friday and you won't find me stuck in a holding cell at the local jail. (Unless reading is a crime - then lock me up)

b. I don't have many friends. (This is the obvious one)

c. I actually love school. Unlike most kids, the teachers like me, I practically live in the library and school is my second home.

d. Brent Duncan screwed up my life.

~

Thank god for Travis. Without that little-minded freak, I would've missed the bus. Even though no one rides anymore because of their fancy-schmancy cars, I still value the free trip to school.

"Hey, sunshine! What's the new book today?" Travis asked looking over my seat.

"One - I told you not to call me that anymore. Two - it's Internal Rage by Sally Holland," I said a bit crabbily, "anymore useless questions?"

A bit of advice - don't mess with a hormonal sophomore at 6:30 on a Monday morning.

"Yikes! Sounds like a page-turner. Got some of your own "Internal Rage" that you need to get out?"

"Really, Travis? Are you trying to piss me off?" While our little argument was unfolding, the bus pulled into the school parking lot and everyone started to file out. "Have a nice day weirdo." I mumbled as I clumsily stumbled out of my seat.

~

"Moooorning everyone! Get seated, I'm starting in a minute." Mr. Collen's yelled into the lecture hall. I took my seat third row from the front and got comfy. Class usually started fifteen minutes late due to the irresponsible teenagers. I flipped open my book and realmed into my own imagination.

My book was finished by the end of the period. Mr. Collen lectured and handed out assignments, then let us spend our time 'wisely', with the 45 minutes we had. I finished my two page essay that was due tomorrow on why our economy is doing poorly and cuddled up to complete my book. The ending was terrible, what kind of author kills someone in the last chapter? Sometimes I wonder what kind of crazy, messed up world we live in.

Study hall was next, and since I didn't have any homework I hung out with Ms. Lumka, the librarian. While we put away books we talked about how Mr. Lumka is doing. They recently found out he has a rare form of cancer in his lungs, but they're being optimistic. He's like a father to me, so it hit home when I found out.

"Tell him to take care, and I'll make cookies the next time I see him!" I hugged Ms. Lumka and stalked off to my next class.

The end of the day was near, and I was ready to go home and start the next novel on my list of things to read. The fifteen minutes warning bell went off, and I started on my way to my locker with an armful of textbooks from biology. Twelve steps away, ten steps, eight steps away from my locker when....

HUMPH!

All the books scatter across the hallway. Sadly everyone was dismissed to pack up, so they were kicked around without a care in the world. I don't even look up to see who ran into me, because I could hear boys snickering in the background. I could feel moisture starting to build up in my eyes.

"Hey, are you okay?" Someone was on the hallway floor next to me, helping me pick up my books.

"No, you just slammed into-I mean yes, I'm okay. I'm sure I'll be fine." I caught myself, he did hit me in the gut pretty hard, but I didn't want to whine.

"I'm really, really, sorry, my friends can be big jerks sometimes," he added with a smile. "I'm Brent, by the way. You're Paige, right?"

"That's what they call me." I answered, still making eye contact.

"I'm sorry again, by the way." He placed the books in my hands after we both stood up.

I looked at him to tell him it was fine, but I stopped in my tracks. He was stunning. There is Abercrombie model cute, and then there's Prince Charming cute. I felt like Cinderella, in that one moment, he was going to sweep me off my feet and carry me away, textbooks trailing behind us.

Then I mentally slapped myself.

Honestly, what was I thinking? Yes, he's a sophomore like me, but he is sooo out of my league. Like so out of my league, I'm in rec. and he's playing MLB.

"Okay, well, maybe I'll see you around." He kind of whispered-mumbled awkwardly to me.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry!" I was totally spacing while he was standing right in front of me. REALLY?!? I deserved another mental slap. "Totally, you just have to look!"

Then I may have walked and/or ran away to the buses.

A.N. -

How did you like it?!?

Vote!, Comment! and Subscribe!

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of, It's Just Me! Another upload in a couple days!