Chapter 2

"I don't need a spotter." Sadia complains only because I'm her back spot.

"Holy fuck she's so annoying." Rani groans.

Coach sighs clearly having enough of her bullshit like the rest of us. Coach looks over at me. "De'Sacra and Hassan come here please." She calls us up.

I go. She puts a hand on my shoulder. "This young women right here is an excellent example of how a team captain should behave." She looks at Sadia. "Listen Hassan. Your behavior is inappropriate for a captain. So I'm handing the title over to Ari." Rani cheers and I chuckle a little shocked that Coach just did that.

Sadia gasps and glares up at me. She's so short but I'm also pretty tall. "You can't do that. I'm literally the best here, I quit my All-Star team to join this team." I wish she wouldn't have.

Coach quiets down so only we can hear her. "I can and I will, Ari is so much more devoted to cheer than you. If you acted like this while trying out for a college cheer team you would be frowned at because cheerleading is about teamwork you depend on your teammates and they depend on you for a good performance. Every single one of them is important. If we didn't need spotters they wouldn't exist but we do. Even the best of the best have spotters for what you're attempting to do."

"You two use to be friends. I know that was a long time ago. What happened is none of my business but Sadia you need to stop bringing the drama with you when you're cheering. Ari never does and I'm sure she dislikes you just as much as you dislike her. Imagine how she feels having to be the person that's supposed to prevent you from being injured. But if it's really that bad I'll change her out for Hailey."

I don't like Sadia but I also don't despise her or anything. I don't think I'm capable of that.

"Whatever." Sadia huffs and storms away angrily.

"Hailey you'll be Sadia's spotter." Coach calls out making me Rani's spotter.

I walk away with a big ass smile on my face. I'm cheer captain! Mom is gonna be so proud.

"You should have been captain a long time ago." Rani mumbles when I get back and stand behind her.

****

After practice I do the same thing as yesterday except this time Rani's in the locker room so Sadia leaves me alone.

I get my clothes on and grab my book bag out of my locker before sitting on the bench to wait for Rani. I scroll through Instagram.

She comes out in her clothes after a few minutes.

I stand up and put my phone into my back pocket before grabbing my book bag and Rani's. "I'm so glad it's Friday I'm tired of this place." I say.

"Me and you both." She says.

We meet Aya outside. Emma hasn't been riding with us since Monday. She's been driving her own car. But I think she's mad at me because I denied her at first.

****

I get out of my car along with Aya and Rani after parking in our huge garage. When we were younger we lived in one of Mom's apartment houses that she rents out but Mamá and Mom became very famous like they are today and people would be outside the apartment so we moved to our mansion that has a fence and gate.

I unlock the door and we go in turning right to go to the living room where I find Mom on the couch but no sign of Mamá. Alora is on the ground playing with her toys.

Mom stands up with a smile when she see's Rani. "Now you I am glad to see." She hugs her.

"Guess who's the new cheer captain." I say to Mom when she stops hugging Rani.