Chapter Fifteen

Absalom is frustrated in spite of his larger forces. When news reaches Tamar that David's men use the guerilla tactics they learned serving him in his youth to buy time to gather his own forces, she realizes that Absalom will lose in the end.

Chapter 15

(King David Buys Time)

David sat down with Abashai and Joab to discuss where they would go next. So as men began to find their way into his camp, they became even more encouraged. David received news that another two hundred men from his boyhood home in Bethlehem had at last made their way with difficulty to his camp. He was overjoyed.

He ran out to greet them and kissed their leader, who was son of his father's brother. "You have given me even more hope than I ever counted on. My own kinsmen have come to my side."

The men of Bethlehem said, "Yes, the land is divided—some going over to Absalom and some to David--- but we will serve the king. Take heart, everywhere we hear the news that more men were sickened when Absalom killed men loyal to King David. They were so reviled that they changed their minds about the king's son. He only pretends to do justice. If the king can only confuse Absalom's forces but a few more days, we will have had time to raise an army. Maybe we will not yet be mighty in numbers as is Absalom's men. But we have heart, we love freedom, and we love our king. We will die to save not only King David and also Israel as the mighty kingdom that David has made it."

David assembled Joab and his brother Abashai. "Let us confuse Absalom for the next few days," David said to Abashai, "Take Benaiah with you and the men who were with me at Ziklag. They have experience in making hard-hitting raids."

David paused. "The priests' sons have brought me word that Absalom has made Amasa commander next to himself. He is a clever soldier but knows only the usual warfare—siege and battle among soldiers in the open field. He cannot deal with our confusing tactics over the next days."

Ahashai and Beniah then took their force of two hundred men back across the Jordan. Benaiah then struck hard, setting fire to fields in Gibeah. He stirred up so much fear that servants of Absalom reported that King David's army was moving on Jerusalem itself.

News reached Tamar and Jesse, who prayed that somehow the Lord would end the conflict and keep both Absalom and the king safe.

Absalom sent Amasa with a large force against Benaiah, who lured them as far as Shiloh. Then Amasa halted when more bad news came. Abasahi had struck behind him at Bethel. So confused was he that he divided his forces into companies of fifty and spread out in search of King David's forces. Amasa was seized with fear when news came that a small force of fifty had reached Schechem, where they were slaughtered and their mules sent back without riders. Amasa had no time to recover his confusion when Abashai hit another band of his men scouting south at Bethlehem.

Absalom again went to Husahi for advice. "What shall I do? I cannot find David's army."

Husahi replied with a show of wisdom, "Why do you have to find David? Let him come to you instead. Why don't you choose where to fight? If you do, you can take advantage of the terrain."

Hushai gave Absalom time to meditate on his words. "In a few more days you will have a force far larger than King David ever took out with him. Your numbers will overwhelm his smaller army. Let his experienced men know fear for once. Be of good courage. My king (Hushai almost choked every time he addressed Absalom that way), in the end you will be victorious."

"Very well, let my men muster on the Mount of Olives overlooking the city. There they can see any army approaching them in the attack. When we are strong, we will move through the Forests of Ephriam and invite David to a showdown."

Meanwhile Benaiah was still striking fear into the hearts of the Israelites. At Gilgal, he captured another fifty of Absalom's forces who had received word to return by way of Jericho to their muster on the Mount of Olives. As usual he planned to kill them all and send their blood-stained mules to Jerusalem. Then one of the captives called to him.

"Benaiah, is that you?"

"Who calls me by name?"

"I am Ehud, your father's cousin."

"Why then do you serve the cause of Abalom?"

"I serve Absalom out of fear. He swore to avenge my house just as he killed men from Ephrata if I did not cooperate."

"Do you swear by the Lord that this is true?"

"As the Lord lives, I am telling the truth."

"Are there others like you pressed into service?"

"Yes, twenty of them are with me here."

"Show them to me, and I will hang the rest."

Ehud then separated them. His men helped execute the others. Then he took Benaiah aside. "Allow us to scatter to the nearby towns with news of Absalom's brutality. We will then say that King David is raising his army to retake Jerusalem and bring back the freedom that Absalom has taken by force."

"Benaiah said, "Your words are good. Take your mules and go spread the word. Join us at the fords. If you are loyal, we will allow you across to safety."

Ehud and his companions were as good as their word. They roused even more men to take up the cause of David.

When David's force grew larger, he needed more supplies to care for his army. He then went to Mathanaim with much of his force. Shobi the son of Nahash from the city of Rabbah came to his aid. Adding to his efforts to provide for the king's hungry men were also Machir son of Ammiel from Lodebar and Barzillai from Rogelim. Altogether they provided bowls and clay pots containing wheat, barley, meal, roasted grain, beans, peas, honey, cheese, cream, and some sheep.

Between the women who fled with their husbands and sons from Absalom and the women with David's benefactors, they prepared food day and night for those who could make it to David's camp.

With the extra bedding his men slept warm for the first time in days.

King David took all that into account. With satisfaction, he said to Joab. "Soon we will go up against Absalom."

Tamar sat with Jesse by their usual spot near the city gate. "Oh, Jesse, my brother relies too much on his numbers and his boldness."

Jesse put his arm around her. "News from all over the countryside says that your father's mighty men have struck like serpents at Absalom's heels."

King David's smaller force eventually came against Absalom in the Forest of Ephriam.