nine | not partners

Start from the beginning

"Even magic has its limitations." She muttered to herself. She then stood, exhaling sharply as she did, and grabbed her sword from her back, turning it into a staff with a simple spell.

She cried out in glee as she jumped onto the zipline and onto the roof. The feeling, sadly, lasted for a brief moment, for she was suddenly tackled by a person clad in black.

"HOLY MOTHER OF--" Ophelia exclaimed, using her staff to hit the stranger to the side. They didn't give up, and attacked her relentlessly, punching her left and right. The huntress' silver staff spun gracefully in her hands as she blocked each blow, finally getting enough space to kick the stranger in the stomach to send them staggering back. 

"Felita, duck!" Clint hollered, ready to shoot at the stranger. "QUACK QUACK YOU BLOOMIN'--" Ophelia hollered back, ducking down as the stranger lunged at her again. 

Clint kicked the stranger away, only to have them tackle him to the ground. They pulled out an electric staff and were about to hit him, but Kate stood up, bow in hand with the arrow nocked. 

Ophelia regained composure and miraculously caught Kate's slightly fearful gaze. The huntress stood up, converting her staff to a sword before pointing it at the stranger, its tip ready to slice open their throat. 

The stranger suddenly ripped off their, no--her-- mask to reveal an all-too familiar blond woman. She looked at Kate threateningly, her mouth slightly open as she tried catching her breath. She glanced at Kate, shaking her head ever so slightly, making the archer lower her bow in surrender.

"Yelena?!" Ophelia breathed out, inaudibly.

Before either Clint or Kate could do anything, Yelena dropped off the roof, into the alley below. 

Clint grabbed the hand Ophelia offered him, as Kate exhaled sharply, "Who the hell was that?"

"You don't wanna know." The Avenger's tone was morbid, as he dusted himself off. The huntress stepped back, sheathing her sword and hovering a hand over it, making it disappear.

"We cannot be your partners if you don't tell us what's going on." Kate pressed on. 

"You're not my partners. Do you understand that?" Clint snapped. Ophelia felt her heart break at the words which left the Avenger's lips, as she took yet another step back, this time in betrayal. "You never were." 

The huntress' eyes welled up with tears which she hastily wiped away, as he continued yet again, "Someone has hired a Black Widow assassin. This has gotten very real, very quickly. So I'm doing this alone."

"The hell you are," Ophelia's voice cracked slightly, so Kate took over, "Look, I know that tonight didn't go as planned, but we both chose to be here. We understand the risk, Ophelia more than me, in fact. We understand all of that."

"Clint, you were the one who asked for my help. I could've refused. Yet here I am, with you and Kate, ready to help. And I did. I even--" Ophelia broke off as she sniffled, "I even broke my oath so I could help. And now--now you're saying neither of us are your partners?" 

"You two were never my partners." Clint replied, ignoring the tears which were rolling down his friend's face. 

Kate stifled a sob and spoke, her voice wavering with tears, "Please, Clint. Don't do this." 

He simply replied, "Go home, Kate. It's over." 

The archer walked away, not shooting him a second glance. Clint looked at Ophelia, "You too, Felita. Go home." 

"You don't get to call me that anymore, you lying, backstabbing bastard," She angrily replied, her voice quivering. "Now, don't you dare speak to me again." 

She turned around on her heel, and walked away, into the frosty night.

--Time Skip--

Ophelia entered her apartment building, her cheeks slightly damp from crying. Her home was dark, like she had left it a few hours before. She placed her keys in the key bowl with a 'chink', and sighed deeply.

She flicked on the lights, blinking at the sudden warm brightness before tiredly walking towards the bathroom.

She undid her bandage after taking off her jacket and bloodstained top, inhaling sharply at the sight of the open wound.

"Good lord, how do I get myself in such weird situations--" She muttered to herself, grabbing a clean needle and thread.

She began stitching up the deep wound once she finished disinfecting it, wincing in pain every time the needle stabbed into the tender yet raw skin.

After what seemed like ages, the wound was thoroughly stitched up and thinly bandaged.

The huntress walked back into her kitchen, pulling out a box of microwave burritos. "God I'm gonna get so fat, eating this crap." She thought, biting into the hard burrito after microwaving it.

She stood up to put her plate away when a voice from behind startled her, "Ophelia Moonshadow."

"Fucking hell--" The Huntress swore, throwing the plate like a frisbee at the stranger.

She ducked and said plate hit the wall, shattering to a thousand pieces.

"Hi..." Grinned the intruder, dragging out the word.

"Good lord, Yelena! Don't sneak up on me like that! I know you're hating on me for that fight on the roof, but please, for the love of God, leave me out of whatever plan you might have." Ophelia pleaded. She picked up a leftover burrito and offered it, "Microwave burrito?"

"Nice to meet you...again, Ophelia." The stranger, Yelena, said, taking the offered delicacy."Now, can you tell me where Kate Bishop lives? I am a trained assassin, but unfortunately in my rush, I forgot to get her address."

"Kate? I don't know, but I vaguely remember a house just off Main Street. Above a sushi shop, or something."

"I will need you to come with me, Ophelia Moonshadow."

"Please, don't call me by my full name. Just call me Ophelia. We've known each other lond enough for that."

"Okay, Ophelia, come with me."

"Fine, whatever."

--Time Skip--

At Kate's house, Ophelia waited, while Yelena made mac and cheese. "My daddy says it's good for you, so we will eat." The Russian woman had said.

Kate entered the apartment after ages of waiting, and somehow managed to pass by both Ophelia and Yelena.

The Russian woman stood a good way away behind the archer, and said, "Kate Bishop."

Startled, Kate grabbed a hot sauce bottle and hurled it at Yelena, getting further surprised when the Assassin caught it flawlessly.

She peeped form the side of the bottle and grinned, "Hi..." Dragging out the 'i'.

"Well, this is going to be rather interesting." Ophelia said, leaning back in her seat, mentally preparing herself for the exchange about to take place.

---

And that is the next cliffhanger! I'm sorry for all of them, but I rather liked this chapter, not gonna lie.

Now, this chapter is dedicated to...*drumroll*

OneofStarkskids!

So, the next chapter comes after 40 comments, loves!

Question: Name three reasons why your liking this book (if you are, that is,) and tell me if you want me to change anything.

And vote, as well if you'd like!

Have a fabulous day/night!

With love and hugs,
Daisy Rose