chapter 5

╭ ◜ ୨୧ ◝ ╮

The next few actions seem to happen in a flash. 

I just killed someone. 

A person was dead

Because of me and what I'd done. 

I loosened my grip on Sumire, and stared as her limp corpse dropped to the floor. 

Surprisingly, I felt nothing. Not a single feeling of fear or uncertainty. 

Rather, I was calm. At ease. As if a burden had been relieved of me. Well of course, since Senpai was safe now. 

I released my hold on the knife and stepped back to take in the scene. 

Blood was spilled around the floor and Sumire still had the terror expressed clearly on her face, even the tear streaks haven't dried yet. 

It's time to clean up this mess. 

As if I was merely doing house chores, I mopped up the blood and cleaned up the tools. 

I stuffed the body in a garbage bag and carried it out of the crime scene. 

It was probably after cleaning time, so there wouldn't be a lot of students, but if anyone saw me carrying a large garbage bag would surely arouse suspicion. I would have to tread carefully. 

Making my way through the hallways I got to the incinerator. I threw the bag and the knife in carelessly and rushed to the changing room close the the swimming pool. I got into another clean uniform and folded up the bloodied one discreetly and put that in the incinerator as well. 

I started up the machine without a second thought and turned to leave the school and throw this behind me. 

A voice dragged me out of my thoughts. "Hey, Ryoba-chan..." 

My eyes narrowed as I saw the nosy, annoying speaker: Sumire's best friend, Ui Tunesu.

"I saw you took a knife out of the cooking club... why did you do that?"

No wonder people called her Witness-chan, she seemed to appear at the most inconvenient moments to witness everything.

I walked up to her and bowed slightly in apology. "Oh, that knife actually belonged in the Home Ec room. I was just putting it back where it belonged." That should be convincing.

"Oh, that makes perfect sense! ...I guess," She nodded at me. "It's almost six, I should be going. Goodbye, Ryoba-chan!" She smiled and waved as she left the school. 

Speaking of leaving, I should get going too. I grabbed my schoolbag and strolled leisurely back home, fantasizing of Senpai every step of the way.

‿︵‿︵୨˚̣̣̣͙୧ - - - - - ୨˚̣̣̣͙୧‿︵‿︵

After I disposed of the girl who was trying to steal my Senpai, I cleaned up all the evidence.

I left no trace of what I had done...

...or so I thought.

When Sumire's parents noticed her absence and got worried, they notified the police and they cooperated with the school to do a full scale search immediately.

When the police investigated the girl's disappearance, they found a single bloodstain that I failed to clean up.

This was enough to make the police begin investigating the girl's disappearance as a possible murder case.

They checked all the security cameras and interviewed all the students.

Many journalists came to our school and asked us questions about how did it feel to be in a dangerous situation.

The search went on for at least two weeks until the police gave up and submitted a conclusion that Sumire had either ran away to somewhere where nobody found her or she was indeed dead, and the body had been rid of.

Sumire's parents were devastated at their daughter's supposed death; they shouted at the police for being incompetent and yelled for the headmaster to return their "precious, darling daughter" back to them.

Her mother even stood outside the school one day and took a random student by the shoulders and started screaming about top students murdering one other until student shook off her grip and ran away.

A potential murder at an elite school was big news. It was a stain on the school's prestigious reputation.

The headmaster didn't take it very well.

Rumors spread that he struck a deal with the police to keep any future investigations as discreet as possible.

There was also gossip that he used a high amount of cash to bribe the reporters and news stations to erase this scandal and never bring this up again.

He was most likely paranoid, that all this would crumble and he would lose his status, so he took measures further, such as making martial arts knowledge be compulsory for the faculty, and allowing the student council members to carry pepper sprays.

They'll be on high alert from now on. I'll need to be more careful in the future...

...but I can't rest yet. Another threat has appeared.

‿︵‿︵୨˚̣̣̣͙୧ - - - - - ୨˚̣̣̣͙୧‿︵‿︵

She plans to confess her feelings to my Senpai at 6:00 p.m. on Friday. I need to stop her before then.

If I kill every girl who shows an interest in my Senpai, I might attract more police attention to the school...

... so, even though I'm tempted to plunge a knife into her heart... perhaps I should consider avoiding bloodshed.

I should eavesdrop on their conversations. I might be able to learn some valuable information. In fact...

With a little bit of sabotage, I might be able to ruin their budding relationship and make my Senpai lose all interest in her...