CHAPTER 21

In the Roy Chouwdhury haveli

It had only been some hours but Anirudh Roy Chaudhary had started loosing his calm and was becoming impatient to sneak out of the house as soon as possible. He still had to wait till midnight so that he can quietly run away and stay at that cottage near the Saluja mansion. He had already made all the arrangements for his stay at that cottage and had also thought of an excuse to tell it to his Kaka and the other family members. But to make a move, he needed the help of Bihari. He called Bihari and told him all about his plan and instructed him about what was his role in this plan. Bihari nodded and went back to the kitchen to help Sampoorna with preparing the lunch.

At the Saluja Mansion

" So, Vaijanti a.k.a Miss Bondita, this is your room and here you can carry out all your investigations. Feel free to ask any help from me. I really want you to find the murderer of my sister", said Gurleen, who was clearing all the stuff that was spread in the room, all the while speaking to the new guest at the house.

Vaijanti kept wondering about whether to ask about that room to Gurleen. She was confused whether she was trustworthy enough to be told about her next plan, afterall it had been only a handful of days since they met. She decided to keep it all to herself. She decided to start her mission after everyone is asleep.Given that the house runs according to Paramjit's routine , everyone would be in their beds by 10. She would be having ample time to search the room of the victim. She doubted that the police must have overlooked the crucial evidences that may be present in her room. She was sure someone amongst the family was the murderer and was trying to stop the police and her from catching him or her. Gurleen took her leave and asked her to freshen up and then come downstairs for breakfast.

Vaijanti retired on the bed, just as Gurleen shut the door behind her. Her mind again started pondering over the case. She started making up scenarios about what must have happened that night.

" That Night, Lajvanti may have went up to the terrace, all decked up as a bride for Karva Chauth. She must have kept the back door open for Harbir, her lover. But before he could come, the murderer entered the terrace from the from the front door. Neighbours also said that they did not hear her screaming or did not see any such things. That leads to two very crucial observations. First one is that, Lajjo knew the murderer very well, and did not get panicked at all at his or her presence. Secondly, Lajjo must have shared her plan about meeting Harbir that night, on the terrace, to the murderer. This certainly could not be her father, as said by Harbir.

The murderer must have gone there to find out till what time will he be coming there. He or she must have stepped closer to her , in order to be unrecognised and just when he or she got an opportunity, the killer must have pushed off Lajvanti off the terrace, without any warning. And just after the crime, the murderer must have ran down and hid in his or her room and waited patiently for a commotion in the house. And just when he or she saw the panicked family members, the criminal must have ran down with them too and faked as if they were unaware of whatever happened."

Vaijanti was imagining it all, just when there was a knock at her door and she heard someone saying, " Vaijanti puttar, come down. Breakfast is ready. You must be hungry". It was Bindu. Vaijanti got up from her bed and arranged her saree and opened the door. Bindu was standing at the door and she smiled at her. Vaijanti too smiled at her. But for some moments, Bindu stood there in front of her , at her door as if wanting to tell her something but was not able to say it. Vaijanti awkwardly smiled at her and asked her to come downstairs. In her mind, she had made an impression of the Salujas that they are a bunch of absolute weird people behaving more so around her.

At the dining table, there was Sarojini, standing and serving on the plates, there was Gurleen , who was helping her and there was another maidservant, bringing all the food items in bowls to the table. Bindu came and sat next to Vaijanti, wierdly smiling at her. Vaijanti too smiled back at her, feeling awkward. For breakfast, the Salujas had made Makke ki roti and sarson ka saag. Vaijanti, being a food lover, became very excited at the thought of trying out this new dish. She immediately tore a piece of roti and dipped it in the bowl of the saag and ate it. The moment she ate the piece, her whole mouth started burning as she had eaten a chilli. She coughed hard, tears escaping from her eyes and her face turning red. Bindu, who sat besides her, became too concerned and before anyone could think of anything, she ran to the kitchen, and came out with a glass of water and a bowl with two pieces of gulab jamun.

She made Vaijanti drink the water while patting and rubbing her back. Then she gave the bowl of the sweets and had her eat it. Finally, when she saw Vaijanti's coughing subside, she took a sigh of relief, patted her head lovingly and again sat down to eat her food. Everyone, including Vaijanti, was quiet stunned at this motherly behaviour of Bindu. Vaijanti , too found her behaviour a bit queer. Why is it that she felt while she stood in front of Bindu, that she wanted to tell something to her? Why does she suddenly care for her so much? Vaijanti found her behaviour quiet doubtful. She decided to somehow break into Lajvanti's room tonight and look into this matter.

While everyone was eating, Saroj called the maidservant and said , " Kamla, clean the house properly today as it has not been sweeped properly since Lajjo left us. Also , clean Lajjo's room. The keys of her room are in my room, on the book shelf". Vaijanti got an idea to sneak into the victim's room for gathering evidences. When the maidservant left, Saroj suddenly started sobbing. "My Lajjo loved to see her room neat and tidy. Had she been here, the house would have felt as if it has come to life. But my child is no more with me", Saroj said in dazed manner. She was the only one who had not yet touched her food. Bindu went besides her and tried to console her but immediately Saroj removed Bindu's hand from her head rudely and screamed at her," All of this is happening because of you. Since the day you arrived at our house, that day itself marked the end of this family's happiness and welfare. All this is happening because of you. You knew that Lajjo would be standing on the terrace for committing suicide and still you did not tell us. How could you do this, Bindu? Why didn't you stop her?". Saying this Saroj fell to the ground and started crying even more. Bindu did not speak a word and went upstairs to her room.

Vaijanti was confused upon whom should she console, Bindu or Saroj. By then, Gurleen brought a glass of water and made her aunt sit up on the chair. Saroj kept on repeating Lajjo's name while Gurleen made her eat her food. Vaijanti was even more puzzled. Why did Saroj say all these things to Bindu? Was all that she said true at all? She grew even more curious. She then went to Bindu's room upstairs. She knocked at her door twice, but got no response. She knocked at the door again and this time Bindu opened the door. Vaijanti noticed that her eyes were red. She had been crying all the while.

FINALLY WROTE A CHAPTER AFTER DAYS. SORRY FOR KEEPING YOU WAITING AND THANK YOU FOR WAITING, HEHE. BTW A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL MY LOVELY READERS AND SUPPORTERS. I HOPE YOU WILL LIKE THE CHAPTER. PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT HOW WAS THE CHAPTER.