The Limelight - Freesia Lockheart

You might know her under the user names crossroad and Freesia Lockheart, the truly inspiring author of  "Like Yesterday" and "Getting It Straight" that were both finalists in the Watty Awards 2012.

1. How did you discover Wattpad?

It was early 2011 when I first discovered Wattpad. I ran out of things to read so I searched for a website which offered free books. I found it at the OVI store. Then I downloaded it after and started checking it out. At first, the application sort of freaked me out. I really thought it was an application that I shouldn’t have downloaded and that viruses would eat up my phone if I’d press some more buttons. So I deleted it right away. But their catchphrase was very catchy. It was like stuck in my head: “Read what you like. Share what you write.”

I was actually a frustrated writer from when I was twelve until a year before I graduated from high school. During college, I totally gave it up and focused on getting a degree. But somehow, writing is more like a calling, literally. It calls you despite the years or whatever you’re doing with your life. So with Wattpad’s catchphrase stuck in my head, I started searching more about Wattpad and saw their site. The rest is history.

2. Do you use real people or real life events in your stories?

Yes. Mostly, they are my own. It’s like I documented my life in my stories. The only secret I have in order to save myself from total humiliation is that I don’t tell which is fiction and not. I kind of mix everything together and create a story. Most of the time, though, the real ones are the feelings, like I literally pulled them out of my diary. Like this is not what happened but this is how I felt back then. And I have a feeling that somehow , when the person or guy involved (and aware) reads my story, they’ll actually know that it’s about them in a way or two. I’m sort of afraid that they’ll be thinking, “Oh, so this was what she felt at that time. I didn’t know.” Yes, that would be a total shame because every book is like a confession. But if I want to really write something that shows a lot of heart, I guess I should really put myself upfront. In the process, I became a little more honest about my feelings, unlike the shy and timid way I dealt with them before. It’s pretty life changing for me.

3. Who are your inspirations?

My readers. I wouldn’t be a writer if not for them. They’re like my daily dose of encouragement. And then there’s God, my family, and my friends.

4. How often do you write?

Everyday. Ha! I wish. I write whenever I can, whenever the situation permits me, or whenever I have a spare time and I’m not that tired. I have a full-time job so it’s really hard not to feel exhausted after the day ends.

5. Are there any Wattpad authors whom you particularly love and/or admire?

I love xoStardust and Caitlyn Duffy. Those who haven’t read Alone on Cloud 9 by xoStardust should go and read it now. You guys are missing out way too much. She’s such a talented writer and have her way with words. She touches heart so definitely one author to look out for. And Caitlyn Duffy would always be there in my list of favorite authors be it on Wattpad or not. She’s a clever writer and is not afraid to deal with different things. I like how she always offers something new. She’s amazing and I read her books and look forward to hear more from her.

6. Which is your most favorite season?

Here where I live, it’s either raining or it’s sunny. There’s no definite and reliable pattern. One day it rains, the other the suns hot in the sky. But I think, for me, it’s rain definitely. I love the rainy season. I love watching the rain. I love the rain period. Not that much rain or storms, just drops of rainfall here and there. But if’d live in a place where there would be four different seasons, I think I’d adore spring. I love how it signifies the start of another year, and that the flowers are starting to bloom again. Love flowers. And summer is too hot. Autumn is too sad. Winter is too cold. So definitely, spring. But don’t take my word on it. I’m only imagining the seasons in my mind. All I actually know firsthand is summer. So that came from a person who only know the sun and rain and more sun and more rain.