The Human Council

The capital building in Lionshead was modeled after Greek temples

The capital building in Lionshead was modeled after Greek temples. Made of gilded white marble, it stood atop a high hill. A shimmering mosaic pathway spiraled up the hill, leading to the entrance. When the delegation from the Keep made it to the top, a group of rangers met them. "Burkhart," one of them said, "you and your companions will surrender any weapons before entering the building." 

Tine glanced at Drith and Ephraim, but complied. He could count on a single hand the times he'd been inside the capital building, but he had never been required to give up his weapons. In fact, as a guardian, it was expected that he never be completely unarmed. He handed his swords to one of the rangers, forcing his face to remain neutral. 

The rangers flanked them just as they did whenever they guarded the council, but Tine couldn't help thinking that with their party, it was more about control than protection. When they entered the chambers, the council was already seated. Bartholomew's chair was empty save a golden rose. That can't be a good sign, Tine thought as he bowed before them. 

"Ah, the Four Souls," councilwoman Yindi said as she stood, shaking out her golden robes before she looked over the group again. Her eyes narrowed. "Or should I say, the three. Where is Guardian Emmaline Matte?" 

"She disappeared during the disturbance," Burkhart answered as he stepped forward.  

"Disappeared?" Yindi asked. "Why were we not informed of this?" 

"Your grace, it is only customary for the council to be informed if a guardian has been taken by mara. Em was not taken by mara." 

Councilman Turen stood slowly. "It is also customary for guardians who assassinate council members to be executed, but here we are." 

It was Bridget who answered him, her thin features cold as she said, "It has already been brought to the attention of the entire council that his death happened after he kidnapped Guardian Em, mutilated her, and killed her and Guardian Tine's infant children. Upon investigation of his home, we found evidence that he conspired with mara and used them to experiment on mortals and elite alike. The decision of some of those of this council to consider him a martyr is beyond disgraceful." 

Turen glanced at her for a moment, but it was Councilman Zakhele who spoke up, "Hear, hear! We have enough on our agenda without dabbling into wrongdoings made right. I, for one, issue a formal pardon on the grounds that it was justified and, furthermore, that at this time we need as many of the four as we can have to be aligned with us." 

"You are aligned with us, are you not?" Yindi asked, her gaze not leaving Tine. 

"Yes, yer grace," he said with a bow. Bridget had once told him that Yindi had been the deciding vote in stripping alo-rin of their rights, and it grated his nerves to grovel before her. 

"I second Zakhele's pardon," Bridget said. "All in favor?" 

TIne's breath caught in his throat for a moment as only Bridget and Zakhele's hands went up. Slowly, though, Yindi raised her hand as well. "On the grounds that he might prove useful to us," she said as she sat.