eleven

audrey newman

        there was no contact between soda and i since two days ago, where he thought it was the perfect time to just show up at my window. i've only talked to ponyboy, johnny, and even two-bit who'd gossip about soda like a teenage girl.

        i don't mind it though, great to have a few people to talk to from the gang besides myself and the wall. mom tries her best to get me out of bed every once in a while, mostly works with a good old talk show, specifically carson.

        mom was making chicken downstairs, just regular cooked chicken instead of it being fried. i was cleaning up whatever was left around my floor in my own room, clothes and books. the other day, ponyboy lend me some books just in case i was interested in reading.

        i went into the living room to change the channel as it switched to the old news nobody needed. mom was finishing up dinner while sliding down the extra trash into the bin.

        "audrey, can you take out the trash for me?" mom asks while placing the knife into the sink.

        "yeah, sure." i replied.

        i grabbed the garbage bag and swung it over my shoulder, walking out to see dally smoking a cigarette with soda? as much as i wanted to go up to them with a hello, i missed that chance as a car pulls up in front of my house.

        inside was a man who was awfully clean, striped button down underneath his leather vest. he had that smooth brunette hair with his green eyes, we shared eye contact for a minute before i left my attention towards him behind.

        "audrey?" the man calls my name, i turn around.

        "yes, who are you?" i gave him a nasty look.

        "your mom inside?" he didn't even answer my question.

        "yes, is it that important?!" i snapped at him.

        "important as in you being my daughter? then yes, now tell brooke i'm coming in." the guy who assumed he was my dad pushed me away.

        dally and soda's nosy ass stood up like they were gonna beat up the dude who had only laid the back of his hand on me to move me out of the way, clean but rude. i stormed inside to see my mom just yelling her head off at the dude, saying he should've been here for my childhood years and now.

        the man overpowered her with his height, mom was only 5'7 while the man could possibly stand at a whopping 6'0. mom gave the guy a hard slap on the face before turning her back on him.

        "what the hell is going on here?!" i interrupted them.

"johnathan, i think you have to go." mom pressed her palm against her forehead.

"brooke, i changed! i'm out of rehab, i'm ready to be a father again." johnathan sighed.

        "leave johnathan, or i will have to call the cops!" mom retorted at him.

        i tried to lead my so called dad to the door but his elbow was eye-level compared to me, which caused him to elbow me in he nose. i was sent back with a bloody nose, mom and johnathan looked terrified as if they had saw a ghost.

        johnathan slammed the door on his way out while mom attended my aid, she grabbed all the tissues she could to stop the bleeding. i tried getting her to just take a rest and i could take her of my small bloody nose but she refused, if you love and take care of someone for over a decade then you just make it a cycle.

        "mom, i got it. just please rest for me, it's all i'm asking." i sighed, holding the ice pack against my nose.

        "are you sure? what if you start bleeding out a lot and-"

        "mom." i gave her a stern look.

        "okay." she caved and went into her room.

        i looked out the window to see johnathan sitting on our porch, he looked like he messed up big time and that he was trying to find the next thing to do. i walked out onto the porch and sat down next to him.

        he gave me a sorrowful look, repeatedly apologizing for elbowing me in the face. i rested my head against his shoulder, making sure that i forgive him for accidentally elbowing my nose.

        "is she mad?" johnathan asked.

        "yes but i told her to sleep it off." i recalled.

        "i'm so sorry for what went down in there, i just wanted to be apart of your life again and not be that deadbeat father i was for the 16 years in your life." he said in sympathy.

        "i forgive you. after all, you are my dad so i should forgive you." i smiled at him.

        johnathan patted my head before leaning his against mine, we watched the houses in front of us along with the cars passing by. i get that johnathan wasn't there for all my life but i always believe in second chances, not when it comes to sodapop though.