Chapter One

In case you aren't aware, I have begun a Facebook group with story updates, facts and insights into my stories and my characters. The group is under my username :) (And no, I'm not going to shut up about it for a while xD).

xXx

“So, what’s a kid like you doing running a farm anyway?” Russell asked dryly as he pulled his duffle bag from the Ute. He still couldn't believe that he was going to work for the brat, but thinking about it, he realized that he really had no choice.

Riley didn’t look fazed and locked the doors. “I’m twenty one. I’m not a kid.”

“Compared to me, you’re a kid,” He snorted and slung his bag over his shoulder.

“To answer your question, I wanted to try something new.”

“I hope you’re aware that Cattle Station work is the most dangerous job in Australia because of the amount of injuries and deaths every year?” He asked, dryly.

“I know. It’s a risk I’m willing to take.”

“Right.”

“C’mon, I’ll show you where you’ll be staying.” Russell followed Riley into the large stone brick home and started a tour. “This is the living room; over here is the kitchen and dining room. Follow me down this hall and to the left is your room, with the bathroom at the end of the hall on the right. Across from your room is mine and down from that is Luke’s room and across from there is Graham’s.

“Whose?”

“Luke and Graham. They’re my other employees. Luke’s another drover so you’ll be working closely with him. Graham does yard work with me.”

“Right. Did you force them to work here too?” Russell asked, dryly.

Riley shrugged. “Not really; Luke is the son of one of my father’s acquaintances. Graham’s wife passed a few years ago and wanted to try something new so he stumbled across an advertisement in the paper and applied.”

“So I’m the only one whose been forced,” He stated.

Riley rolled his eyes. “Work starts tomorrow at five am sharp. I’ll give you your schedule at breakfast. For now, settle in and relax. We have a big day tomorrow.”

“Right.”

“Oh; and for future reference, breakfast is at eight pm during our breaks, lunch is one and dinner is seven. Questions?”

“None.”

“Great. I’ll see you in a few hours for dinner,” Riley replied cheerfully before leaving Riley to his own devices. Russell held back a groan and entered his new room. It wasn’t large but it was… spacious he supposed. It was furnished with an ensemble bed which had already been made, a brown chest of drawers and a built in closet. There was also a low, brown bookcase which Russell doubted he’d even get to use. There was also a plump, white towel, neatly folded on the end of the bed.

Letting out a sigh, Russell dumped his duffle bag on the bed and began to unpack his things. He didn’t have much-really, he didn’t need a lot. Clothes, money and toiletries were all that he needed. He didn’t have personal items because, to be honest, he’s never felt the need. He didn’t talk to his parents who had buggered off back to America as soon as he turned eighteen and, at that stage, he hadn’t wanted to return with them. Anywhere was better than with them.

A couple of hours later, Riley knocked on the door to collect Russell for dinner. Feeling slightly awkward, Russell almost decided to skip out, only his stomach had protested at the thought. He exited the room and threaded his fingers through his hair, tying it up with an elastic band. Riley ushered him into the kitchen and sat him at the table with two other men.