Part 21

"Oh, I'm so glad, Pietro, is doing well, Wanda." You smiled at her as she put away the letter she'd just finished reading to you and Natasha.

"Me too." She smiled. "It's hard to believe that, in a few months time, I'll be able to see him every day." She grinned.

"Not just your brother." Natasha wiggled her eyebrows suggestively at her.

The three of you began laughing as Wanda tried to scold Natasha for teasing her.

"Come in." You called out to the person knocking on your chambers door.

The door opened and in walked Steve, along with Sam, Bucky, Peter and Rhodey.

"My love, may we speak to you? Alone?" Steve asked, briefly smiling at Natasha and Wanda.

You nodded frowning, "Of course, hmm... Wanda, Natasha, would you please make sure Morgana is behaving? I expect her nanny could do with a break." You smiled at them.

The two of them bowed to you and Steve before excusing themselves and left your chambers.

Before any formalities could be swapped, your eyes narrowed on Steve's cut and bloody hands.

You took Steve's hands in yours. "Well?"

He let out a soft sigh as you pulled him over to the arm chair in your chambers, pushing him to sit. "We got a little carried away with the prisoners, I'm afraid." He admitted.

"Oh, Steven." You turned and walked over to the jug of water that sat in the room then grabbed the face clothe that sat by the bowl. "We can wash away the blood, but the stupid, I'm afraid, will stain." You teased as you knelt in front of him, looking up with a grin.

"I am a king, you know." He played along with a smile.

"So, are you going to tell me what happened?"

"They weren't forthcoming with any answers." Bucky huffed from where he sat at the table.

"And beating them to death is going to make them?" You asked.

"Funnily enough, I did point that out, Princess." Peter chuckled from where he sat beside you, handing you fresh clothes.

You giggled, glancing up at Steve. "Have you learnt anything?" You asked.

He sighed as he rested his head on his other hand. "It seems, it's not only, King Brock, that still believes that you belong to Lower East." He frowned. "The prisoners only seem to refer to you as their future Queen."

Your mouth hung open in disbelief. "They're all brainwashed."

"Or mad as a box of frogs." Sam muttered.

Bucky nodded, "Whatever they are, it means we're getting nowhere with them."

"I need to ask you something, my love." Steve spoke as he took your hands in his. You nodded. "Will you speak to them?"

Your eyes widened. "I can't speak to them!" You jumped up. "What am I supposed to say to them?"

Steve glanced at Peter, "Peter, has been telling me that the two of you were talking about something interesting at breakfast, my love, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter." Steve smiled at you kindly. "You don't need to worry. I'm not mad. I actually, agree with you."

Your eyes widened, "You do?"

Steve nodded, "When you think about it, it makes sense."

"What does?" Rhodey asked.

Steve nodded at you with a reassuring smile. You looked over to Rhodey and took a deep breath. "That Lower East has men on the inside."

"You mean like, spies?" Rhodey asked as he stood up from where he sat.