5. « Have you spoken to the wisemen yet? »

Patriarch Khadri was very much like I had imagined him to be. He was a proud, well-groomed gentleman, with a sleek look and an impressive beard. He was a man of strong and dignified stature, who was skilled in the arts of home building and home maintenance. He taught me a lot.

For the first few weeks of my stay, he had me work on his residence as well as on a few other projects. I genuinely enjoyed the physical labor and the good talks we shared while working together, but I could not wait until I could start tutoring his daughters.

The thought of being seated next to his daughter Qamara made me tremble with excitement every night.

When will that day come? I often wondered. I figured Patriarch Khadri wanted to spend time alone with me first, which was fair. After all, I was just some young lad whose father he hadn't seen in years. He had to screen me, make sure I was a trustworthy and honorable man before allowing me to spend time with his family. I understood that, and because I longed to be in the presence of Qamara so badly, I made an effort to strengthen my relationship with her father. I worked long hours in the blistering sun, I respected his every rule, I listened closely when he spoke and, most of all, I never complained. It was in my best interest for him to think I was a proper gentlteman, and also his friend.

« My brothers taunt me » he once admitted to me while we were on our way back home after working on a homebuilding project.

« Since the shame of being the fifth son, tormented in my youth and neglected in my inheritance, wasn't enough, God made me a daughter's father and nothing more. »

Once again I recognized the sadness I had seen in his eyes when he first told me about his lack of male heirs.

« Every once in a while, one of my brothers asks me « Have you spoken to the wisemen yet? » with a smirk, as to ridicule me. They know very well I haven't spoken to the wisemen yet, because if I had, my daughters would have been married off in a glorious ceremony which they would have attended. »

He sighs.

« Marriage, housekeeping, childbearing and childrearing can be hard on women. I don't want to rush my daughters into conjugal life just yet. I want to make sure my daughters are at their very best, so that they can attract the very best and give me strong heirs in the form of grandchildren. »

I could tell how badly he dreamed of grandsons.

« God be praised, my daughters are great at keeping house and performing daily rituals. When it comes to intellect and letters, however, I find them lacking. »

Patriarch Khadri looked at me.

« You, boy, are a master of calligraphy, right? »

Here comes my fateful moment, I thought. I smiled and jumped on the opportunity to display my merits.

« I, Sir, am a tutor, a scholar, a master of calligraphy, and a master of tongues. My intricate and exquisite handwriting was the talk of the town back in Al-Badriya. »

« And you write the ancestral tongue? »

I nodded confidently. Patriarch Khadri then asked me:

« Would you mind skipping on the homebuilding tomorrow, and give Noor and Qamara their first tutoring lesson instead? »

I nearly embraced him in thankfulness. Instead, I smiled and said:

« I would love to. »