epilogue • blue summer!

Start from the beginning

"Oi, San and Wooyoung!" Someone yells from the shore. It's Mingi, in short sleeves and grey shorts that match the colour of his damp hair. Somehow he's carrying Yeosang on his back, Yeosang's hidden smile a lot clearer with every second that passes. "Are you two just going to sit there on those chairs or what?"

I can't read Wooyoung's mind anymore ever since my grandmother's intervention, but his soft smile as he faces me makes it clear he's not doing anything I don't want to do.

This is all his idea. I mentioned in passing one time about how I haven't really went to the beach, and now that I'm here at this private area Hongjoong rented out for today, it's as beautiful as it is daunting.

But I want Wooyoung to have his fun, so I shake my head and playfully nudge his exposed shoulder. Like Mingi, he's wearing a black short-sleeved shirt, which shows off the results of the few times a week he goes running with Yunho. I'm not that big on exercising, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't like his more athletic figure.

"It's fine," I tell Wooyoung. "Go have fun."

Wooyoung's brows furrow. "But -- "

"San," Hongjoong commands in a tone all too lighthearted despite his attempts at looking stern, crossing his arms. "Please retreat from that umbrella with Wooyoung and come get tan with us."

"Like vampires can even get tan," Wooyoung scoffs. Hongjoong proceeds to look very triggered.

"San, look," Hongjoong runs up to us, shoving the exposed parts of his arms in my face. I can't help but laugh at how determined he is to prove he got tanned. "I'm slightly more golden now. See?"

"I -- I think so?" I reply, not really knowing what else to say.

"Or did you just get sunburned?" Wooyoung adds as he takes a sip out of the soda cans we brought along on this trip.

I swear Hongjoong's face turns as red as his hair currently tugged into a half-ponytail. He snaps his fingers. "Yunho!"

Yunho barrels towards us and before I know it, Wooyoung is screaming over his shoulder before he consequently gets dumped into the water.

Laughter erupts in the air, especially from Yeosang's side, and though the sight is amusing I decide I don't want wanna leave Wooyoung alone in there so I join soon after.

The water's colder than I thought it'd be, but it's also refreshing. Wooyoung's hand is on the small of back as he quickly sticks to my side, and it makes my face hot.

"We totally planned this," Mingi states, high-fiving Yunho with Yeosang still on his back. "You can't spend a second without each other."

"Y'all are gonna so get it," Wooyoung says. Our eyes fleetingly lock, and once again, without reading his mind I know exactly what he's thinking.

We start chasing them all.

• • •

Sometime as the sun begins descending down the horizon, peach and orange blazing the expanse of the sky, two new people show up at Hongjoong's request. They're Seonghwa and Jongho, one with some cake and the other with a polaroid in hand. It warms my heart because, although I'm not as close with them as I've become with everyone else, they've been nothing but kind to me.

I watch in awe as Wooyoung -- with Yunho's help -- sends multiple fireworks charging across the dimming sky. Each one sparks a different colour as magic sizzles in them, shedding vibrant hues over everyone at the beach.