epilogue • blue summer!

finally, the last chap (finally)

• • •

San

Today is bright, the brightest weather I've ever witnessed that won't irritate my skin or turn my brain into a confused mess.

But then again, the days of me feeling off and weird about my existence -- or my status as a vampire -- are long gone. I've been feeling a lot happier now, a lot more content. The wonky mornings and unbearable days of insatiable blood-lust are over, thanks to the visits at my grandma Sunghee's home, me coming more and more to terms with my identity, and most importantly, as a result of the people beside me.

Especially Wooyoung. The feel of his arm around my shoulder right this moment brings me a certain type of joy I can't fully describe; a fumbling of emotions that leave me breathless yet enthusiastic of our futures.

School's out for the summer, and just last weekend, Wooyoung and I went up to the mountains to hang out with my grandmother. It was our second time going there without the rest of our friends, and just like those other times, it was wonderful.

I never got to meet Wooyoung's mother face to face though due to the busy and volatile nature of her job, but from what I encountered during my video chats with her, I could fully see where her son got his amazing looks and unbridled selflessness from.

The sky's a shocking blue, the kind of blue you'd see in a children's storybook, meant to mimic a fairytale where the characters live happily ever after. And maybe, just maybe, I'm living my own now too.

It's the complete opposite of earlier this morning. I'd woken up on Wooyoung's bed -- as we've been staying there for the holidays -- to thunder rumbling overhead and sharp lightning streaks zooming outside the windows. Wooyoung looked alarmed, then freaked out, and then went on about calling his mother to ask about correctly changing the weather without disrupting the natural flow of the day because he didn't want this surprise to be ruined.

It later turned out he meant decorating the entrance to backyard and into the fields in these vivid deep purple flowers that seemed to twinkle with light as their petals danced along to the icy breeze. Bellflowers he called them. They meant endless support, love and gratitude.

And although the rain didn't let up because the call didn't go through, the magic never left those flowers as they glowed and shimmered even with the chaos in the sky. And it was beautiful, the whole thing was, and it made the start of my twenty-first birthday a lot more meaningful.

But as the day progressed, the weather turned a complete one eighty -- which I should've expected because...it's magic! Both in the technical form, and because of the people around me that have transformed my life for the better.

As I stare ahead at the guys rough-housing about in the crystalline sea, their boisterous laughs like chimes in my ears, I break out into a big smile.