chapter one - entitled to a sense of control

nia.

two days. i had two days to get to charleston and set up shop and get to work. granted the flight from atlanta to charleston was a rather short one, but two days to morph into a the public relations manager/head assistant/photographer for one of the most popular netflix show out? that was going to be a challenge.

but i found comfort in the fact the people i would be working for and with were nice, fun, easygoing, warm, and accepting. anyone could tell you that from the countless behind the scenes footage and interviews and social media posts from them that the cast of outerbanks was a well-functioning family. like long-lost souls finally reuniting and being happy they did.

i found this out when they hired me five hours ago. after i booked my ticket, i started my research. and i was pleasantly surprised. on alot of projects these days, the cast's bond seems artificial. fake. like behind the surface, they really hate each other. but i didn't get that vibe from the outerbanks cast at all. the connection they all had seemed genuine.

best of all, the actor and actress who played the two main characters were dating each other, and sported a healthy and great relationship online. which brought even more traction to the show. and it makes my job much easier. all and all, this was a dream job. they were all around my age as well, so i was confident in the fact i would gain new friends.

packing was a breeze. it was the end of may, and in both charleston and atlanta, summer was raging on way before it was due. temperatures of over one hundred degrees was a commonplace for this time of year, so i knew my wardrobe here would definitely work on the other side of the georgia-south carolina boarder.

tank tops, shorts, loose jeans, maxi dresses, sneakers, sandals, skirts, graphic tees, swimsuits, sunglasses, baseball hats, biker shorts, and flip-flops were all that was in my checked luggage. that and a few office supplies for my trailer/officer they said they got me. the flight was the day after i got the call, but i was so excited i couldn't sleep. fresh out of college, and i landed my dream job. i couldn't of asked for a better way to start my summer.

the whole way to the airport the next morning, my leg wouldn't stop tapping. it was the only thing stopping me from biting my fresh manicure or ruining the sew-in just had installed the prior. all i wanted to was to be there and meet everyone and get to work. my mom had driven me to hartsfield-jackson.

"you excited, honey?" she asked me. i nodded emphatically.

"i didn't even expect to get a call back. to get the job? my own trailer? it's all i've wanted, mom." i explain.

"well i'm proud of you, and i'm happy for you. but what if the actors are snobby? you know how those actor types can be sometimes." she asked.

"not them. i've seen it with my own eyes. they're a family. they aren't like other shows with drama on and off screen. they're a unit. i truly believe they are great people. it's going to be fun." i said, smiling.

"how long is the flight?" she asked, as we pulled up to the airport.

"about 45 minutes." i said.

"and you didn't drive because..." she asked.

"luxury mother. plus, i'm renting a car in charleston." i explained. we pulled up to the drop off area. i laughed as people practically jumped out of the car. since hartfield-jackson is the busiest airport in the world, the pick up and drop off area is hectic. cars couldn't stop for more than a minute without being blowed at by other cars and the traffic directors.

"have fun, baby. call me when you land. you'll probably land before i get back home." she laughed. i playfully rolled my eyes.

"i will. love you, see you soon." i said. i quickly got out of my car and ran to the trunk to grab my stuff and then before i could even slam it back down, the traffic lady was yelling at my mom to move. i slammed it down and quickly hopped onto the curb before another car screeched up to replace my mom's spot. from there i rushed into the airport.