Part 4: The Hunchback

Every Parisian went to find refuge from the cold rain s it continues to hit the streets. Frollo and Thalia enter the cathedral and took a moment to dry themselves off. They're drenched and could only wait for the rain to stop or light up a bit before they could go out again. The bells of Notre Dame rang overhead, marking 12 in the afternoon, right on schedule.

Frollo scoffs displease while Thalia examines the cathedral inside. Many people pray in their seats and monks sang hymns and lit up candles. Thalia's gaze turns to the beautiful glass-stained windows, enchanting her with its holy artwork. Her trance was broken when Frollo's irritated voice broke through:

"Thalia, listen carefully. I am going to check on . . . something for just a few minutes. I want you to wait here for me until I am done. You may pray for a bit if you wish."

"Yes, master," replied Thalia obediently.

Frollo leaves Thalia and heads for the spiral stairs away from the benched seats. Thalia went to take her seat and kneels down to pray to her god. She looks up at the cross hanging above everyone and the angels that surround it. Her encounter with those gypsies confuses and frightens her young heart. Who are those people? Why did they call her princess? Thalia shakes her head lightly, believing it was just a show when she felt a hand placed on her shoulder.

It was the archdeacon, who spoke gently, "Do forgive me, child. I did not mean to startle you, but I have never seen you here before. Are you new?"

Thalia felt a little shy and could only nod.

"Do you have family here with you?" asked the archdeacon politely. "Here in town, I mean."

"N-No, sir," replied Thalia. "At least, I don't think so."

"You don't know, my child?" asked the archdeacon concern.

Thalia was a little hesitant with her answers; she didn't know if she should say more. She had already gotten in trouble with those gypsies, but surely speaking with a holy man isn't wrong, right? And you're supposed to be honest under the house of God.

Thalia then adds, "I am here with someone. He just went up those stairs."

The naive girl points to the spiral stairs and from the sight alone, the archdeacon knew right away, and yet he was confused. He asks almost in shock, "You are here with Judge Claude Frollo?"

"Yes. How did you know?" asked Thalia, confused herself.

The archdeacon examines Thalia and had a look of worry on his old face. There was pity and great concern in his eyes and sincerely hopes Thalia wasn't being used in any bad way. She looked so innocent and frail, so much like a child, but then why would Frollo take her in?

"I . . ." began the archdeacon, who chooses his words carefully. ". . . Everyone is familiar with him. Are you perhaps his daughter? Or niece?"

"No, sir," answered Thalia innocently. "Neither."

"I see," said the archdeacon.

Thalia felt slightly nervous and wish this encounter would end when the archdeacon then spoke. "You know, child, the bell ringer lives here. Judge Frollo knows this poor lad."

"The bell ringer?" repeated Thalia now curious.

The archdeacon smiles softly and adds, "You are free to visit him, my child. He is a kind soul."

The archdeacon gestures Thalia to the spiral stairs while she stares at them curiously. What business does a person of justice have to do with a simple bell ringer? Now that Thalia thought about . . . What does she know of Frollo? She blinks for a second and continues to stare at those stairs before getting up from her seat. The archdeacon watches her head for the stairs and prays to God for her safety.

Frollo x Ocजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें