"What the hell is going on Mary?" Katie asks for what feels like the twentieth time. She holds her hands up as I start to reply, cutting me off. "First you turn up late, flushed and bright fucking red and then you've been so out of it since. Did you even hear me call your name from across the room?"

I blush, realising that no, I hadn't and swallow another swarm of guilt down. She's right, I've been so preoccupied with my thoughts that I've not stopped to consider that I've been a shitty friend today too.

I've neglected to pay attention when she talks when all she does is listen to me babble most days. Now I feel even more awful than I already do.

"I'm really sorry Katie," I tell her softly. "I'm just not feeling too good lately. I guess it's got me distracted."

That's not exactly a lie, right now I feel sick to my stomach. And yet, the words taste horrible as I say them.

Katie's eyes fill with humour as she tilts her head to the side.

"What?" I ask apprehensively.

A smirk pulls at the side of her mouth as she fights it, shaking her head. "Nothing. You're forgiven."

I blink. What's so amusing?

And where are the theatrics? Katie always makes a huge deal out of accepting your apology even if you're already forgiven. She's the biggest drama queen I know.

"Just like that?" I check, still eyeing her warily.

She hums and takes a sip of her coffee. "What were you expecting?"

"One of your tantrums." I tease, before tasting my hot chocolate. I'm not a big lover of coffee but I could drink hot chocolate every day.

Katie rolls her eyes at my joke and traces her finger around a carving in the table. I can't make out the letters but they're inside a heart so I can make a guess. The coffee shop we're in isn't too far from school so a lot of love sick teens from our town come here. Katie likes it because she likes the attention she gets from other students when they come over to say hello, i like it because there's a small bookcase on the back wall.

"I'm just trying to not act like a bitch." Katie admits as she continues to stare at the table. "Call it my new year's resolution."

Her truth makes me frown. She says something has been going on with me but I've noticed the same with her. She's always been so loud and out there, but this Katie, the one that's shy and vulnerable isn't one that I see often.

I reach my hand out to hers and stop her tracing, causing her to look up at me. "You're not a bitch." 

Her eyes go glossy for a minute before she clears her throat and leans back in her seat. Her expression is impassive again and I feel my shoulders hunch. What's made her feel like this?

The bell above the door jingles as a few more people spill into the shop. A dark skinned girl with gorgeous curls flashes a bright grin at the boy behind the counter and leans over to kiss his cheek. He looks back at her with complete adoration.

I'm pretty sure they're both seniors but I can't remember their names.

"What are your plans for the new year then?" Katie asks suddenly.