Epilogue: SOPURU

"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden;"
-Matthew 5:14

If anyone had told me that my life would take a 360° turn a few weeks ago, I would have scoffed and rolled my eyes. Yet, God made that possible in one night.

My two families sat at the dining room with me in one accord. Everyone was deep in corny jokes and childhood stories, especially mine. I was mortified as David told the story of my parrot shaded eyebrows. I swatted him across the arm with a table cloth, causing laughter to echo around the room.

Seating opposite Jernora and David, I noticed they kept looking at each other every other minute thinking that no one noticed them. Jernora dressed over the top in her bright colors and silver accessories that complemented her beauty. David made an actual effort, looking dashing in his button-down vintage shirt and he even had a new haircut. It was awkward but cute watching them bump into each other as they passed condiments.

Jernora apologized throughout dinner. I bit back my giggling as she apologized again for dropping her fork on David. My confident best friend had all of a sudden become a clutz.

Later, I took a look at myself in the restroom mirror remembering all that I went through. My only regret was Kayode because I knew that wasn't what God wanted. I saw the girl at Hope hospital who prayed for the sick children, who mustered the courage to walk in-front of hundreds of people and gave her life to Christ. This girl needed to rededicate herself to Christ all over again.

"Lord Jesus Christ, I've come to rededicate my life to you. Please forgive me as I have forgiven myself and renew your spirit within me. Amen."

A smile crept on my lips. The plan was still the same. Grow in Christ and serve God with purpose and intention. The beauty of knowing who I was stirred joy in my heart that couldn't be compressed.

Mira, you are the light of the world. A city that is placed on a hill cannot be hidden.

The void in my heart was replaced with something greater. It wasn't like when I had found Jernora or was with Kayode. It was stronger than what I felt when I was with my family few minutes ago. I didn't need a soul to tell me I was home.

I joined the others in the dining room. They were in a heated conversation about how I was saved from the lagoon.

"I've told you exactly what happened before."

"We know but we want you to testify about what really happened to the Peters and your brother. They don't believe me," mum said in frustration.

I felt like I was in the limelight. I exhaled and started "After I jumped, I heard someone calling Mira. When I opened my eyes, I saw a white light approaching me and I heard the voice of God. He told me he named me Mira when I was in your womb. That's when I remembered everything. After that was all blank."

"You didn't tell me that part." Mum dabbed her wet cheeks.

I crossed the table to hold her. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you."

"It's not that," she said in between sobs. "When your father and I got married, that was the name we planned to give to our first daughter. We eventually forgot about it when we had you. I only remembered when you brought it up."

Mum looked from David to me and to our new extended family. She smiled as she took my face in her hands. "You are truly a light to this family."

"Your parents told us about the great things you did for God when you were younger. So, what's next?" Mrs Peters.

"I don't know yet. I guess we will have to wait and see," I said enthusiastically.