5. Finding Peace

-Sirius-

-Sirius-

I still couldn't believe the week I'd had. I'd thought I was having a nice, peaceful Sunday evening with a handsome man with great humor, but it had turned into one of the worst nightmares I'd ever had to live through in a blink of an eye. I'd been too mesmerized by his good looks to even notice the stale hint in the blood he'd offered.

I'd spent the past week cursing myself and my naive stupidity. I had entered the trap willingly, giving my enemy free hands to do whatever they wanted with me, just because I got blinded by their assassins' looks.

I was lucky to be alive. I was lucky I had managed to escape, and I certainly was lucky that it was Riley who found me, no one else. Not only did he save my life by bringing me here, he also kept me safe by not taking me to a hospital. His soothing words and touches had kept me sane through my pain, and his company had given me comfort while I was unable to even get out of bed.

And his blood was healing me. Every time I had his blood coursing through my veins, the burning pain turned into mild discomfort, and my twisting stomach calmed down. I felt warm, and I felt strong for as long as it was his essence of life in me. The blood bags couldn't do the same, not even close.

I was not a child of God anymore, but Riley had to be one of his angels, sent to save me in every way I needed to be saved.

I honestly wasn't sure if I had made it through that first night here at the clinic without Riley. I still couldn't believe I had made it through that horrible pain without dying or at least losing my humanity for good. Even the memory of the antidote burning the poison away made me want to crawl under the bed and die. It was the warmth of his green eyes that had helped me through it. Riley had given me a small way to escape and focus on something else. He'd given me hope. He'd managed to make me believe I only had to endure a moment longer.

He had convinced me that I would not die that night. He had given me the strength to not want to die.

And I was not repaying his kindness well. I was ashamed of accepting his help, and especially his blood. Especially since I couldn't control myself when I drank from him.

I never should've let Riley feed me. In full health, it was easy to control my hunger, no matter how starved I was, but now... I was barely able to stop. I'd drank way too much of his blood during this past week already. Human bodies couldn't recover fast enough, so if I made one more mistake like that, it would put him in danger.

And still he wanted to be my Feeder. I didn't want to let him do that, but he refused to take a no for an answer.

"Here," Mike spoke as he placed a big bottle of red pills on the table next to my bed and turned to look at Riley. "You need to take these every twelve hours for as long as you're a Feeder. It doesn't matter when, and it doesn't matter if you forget one or two every now and then, but try not to."