Chapter 5 | Hedwynn

Raghnall snapped and the doors swung open

The throne room stretched out before me, looking nothing like I'd expected. Unlike the rest of the castle, nothing shined in this space. No pearl-like walls, no glittering light. Every surface was matte black, swallowing the soft light that poured in from the hallway.

My head swam with the void-ness of it, but my feet pressed on. Eyes trained on the floor, I approached the circle in the center of the room. It sure was blue, cerulean--like the crayon. 

Only when my feet entered the circle did I lift my gaze to meet the all-genie's. 

I saw the universe inside them. Stars spinning, time twisting, matter churning around his irises. My mind could barely contain it all. My body screamed and my knees hit the ground before I'd even blinked. 

Head down, eyes down, I waited silent in the blue circle. For the briefest moment, I had looked at the all-genie, I had seen him. But, as I knelt there trembling, I couldn't remember what he'd looked like. Only that he'd looked like power. Like magic. Like wanting

Something tapped the top of my head, and suddenly my body felt cloudy. It was like I was less material than I had been before. Like I was see-through. 

No, I could still see my hands. It was like my soul was see-through. I could feel the all-genie looking at me. Looking through me. Looking through my life. 

This went on for a few minutes, and then just as sudden as it had began, I felt whole again. And the presence that had touched my head withdrew.

"Rise, wish-maker." The all-genie's voice echoed through the small space, and I obliged.

I let my eyes take in his form and I had that feeling again, like I was seeing everything and it was overwhelming my mind.

"You are now a full-fledged genie. Within you lies immense potential, both for incredible beauty," the all-genie raised his palm and a rose burst forth, "and unimaginable suffering," on the last syllable, the rose crumbled to dust. 

"Conduct yourself wisely and let Raghnall guide you; he is one of the finest genies to ever walk these streets. Now before you go, Hedwynn, do you have any questions?

I blinked and before I could think, it slipped out. "Why is everything purple."

The all-genie smiled. "It is my favorite color."

With that, the doors behind me swung back open and I was dismissed. I tried desperately to cling onto the image of the all-genie as I left the chamber and rejoined Raghnall, but it seeped away.

Raghnall raised his eyebrows as if to say, well?

"I think you could have definitely prepared me a bit more for that. 'Just stand in the blue circle.'" I gave him a little shove.

Raghnall laughed, "But how do you feel now?"

I paused a moment and held out my hands. The golden tinge of my skin was still unfamiliar, but felt more right somehow. 

"I feel..." I grinned, "like I'm ready to grant some wishes."

Raghnall clapped me on the shoulder and we began our long trek down the mountain back to his house.

Back home. 

---