Chapter 28: Promise Me

Start from the beginning

Draco should've been upset with himself for hurting his friend. He should've ran after Blaise and apologized. Hell, he even should have told him the truth. But alas, like everything, he shrugged it off.

It never occurred to him that maybe all of these changes weren't for the better. Something in that place had gotten a hold of him, and refused to let go. Something wanted him back and refused to take no for an answer. The want that that thing had for him was starting to take effect.

       {}

Harry slipped on Draco's oversized Slytherin crewneck and pulled on a pair of grey trousers lying in the dirty hamper. He was quite surprised when he discovered that the House Elves hadn't delivered any clean clothing yet. He slipped on a pair of shoes and wandered out of the Gryffindor Common Room. He was just crawling out of the Fat Lady's painting when he heard a voice behind him.

"Harry?"

He turned and stopped dead in his tracks. Cho Chang was standing in front of him.

"Oh my God! Cho!" He didn't hesitate to give her a big hug, "I didn't know you were back! When did you get back?"

"This morning." She smiled, pulling away.

Cho had left for an exchange program in Germany the previous year. Harry and her tried to keep in touch but eventually they lost all contact.

"Oh, Harry, you look great!" She smiled.

Harry blushed, "Thank you, Cho. As do you."

The two smiled at each other before she asked, "So, did I miss anything?"

Harry quickly informed her of everything she missed. He hesitated on the whole I'm-now-dating-my-old-enemy. The hesitance wasn't because he was ashamed of Draco, but because he used to talk to Cho about how much he hated Draco.

She grinned, "Oh, that's amazing! I'm so happy for you two."

Harry nodded, "I finally feel comfortable. I feel like he loves me just as much as I love him."

And how could it not be true? Everything was so perfect, wasn't it? How could it be any less so? What could possibly ruin these star-crossed lover's compassion and connection?

       {}

Draco didn't have much luck finding the answers he desired in the Library, so he decided to go wander about the halls, and question painting and suits of armor. The suits of armor couldn't talk, and just pointed down different staircases and corridors towards different paintings. The paintings were confused and asked him what he was talking about.

Chancellor Becket gave him the oddest look, "Have you gone mad, boy? No such place exists in the magical or muggle world. Silly boy."

"It does exist, and it's..." His face got a dreamy look on it as he imagined the colors and scents, "it's beautiful."

"Ah, so you're the one taking shrooms from Professor Snape's potion ingredient cabinet!" Becket exclaimed, crossing his arms.

"Shrooms? What..." The boy's eyes got wide and he was overcome by ferocity, "I'm not high. The place I've described is real."

"What place?"

Draco turned to see Pansy walking toward him, holding a notebook. Her eyebrows were knitted together as if she was angry with him.

"Oh, um... nothing."

"What's been up with you lately? Neville said you've been lying to Blaise. I haven't seen you in a few days. What's up with you?"

"I've just been busy, and I-"

Parkinson scoffed, "Busy. Right. With Harry? Yeah." She crossed her arms, "If not for me you wouldn't have had the balls to ask him out. Blaise and I gave you the confidence to get with him, and once you're with him you throw out the rest of us? What the hell? You replaced us with him?"

"Pans, that's not what happened-"

"God, Draco. We were there for you. Harry humiliated you for years. We had your back. Through everything? We had your back. Not him. Way to pick a fucking boy over us. Relationships come and go but best friends are forever, but when you pick a teenage boy over the friends you've had since birth? Fuck you. I hope Harry can make you happy, since clearly having friends couldn't do that for you."

Draco was too stunned to speak.

"You cut off everyone. Everyone, Draco. Except your precious boyfriend. And what's going to happen when he cuts you off? Karma is a bitch, Dray. Just remember, we cared about you." She turned on heel and walked away, leaving her ex-best friend standing there, silent.

Fuck... he had lost Blaise and Pansy. He didn't talk to Crabbe or Goyle anymore... everyone else he kind of stopped making time for. But the most fucked up part of it all? He didn't care. There was a momentary pang of guilt, pain and hurt, but it was over as soon as it came.

_Please Vote_

Just a chapter-ly reminder:

You are loved.

You are valid.

You are worth it.