𝟔.𝟙𝟘.𝟣

Start from the beginning

"The ghosts all get together and sing traditional songs sometimes," Sirius whispered. "James and I found them once. It's really great unless you interrupt them. They don't like that much."

"I wouldn't think so," she murmured, and wrapped her arms around his neck. She nearly had to stand on her tiptoes to kiss him, but not quite.

They swayed to the music for a few minutes, both quiet, both taking in the sounds and the feeling of being wrapped in each other's arms. Artemis felt like she was in a trance. Despite the hour, she wasn't the least bit tired. She felt like she could stand in that corridor holding Sirius forever. He was warm and something about being with him made her feel steady. For once, she didn't have to think about what she said or did. She was just Artemis Blake, whatever that entailed.

What felt like hours later, the music ended and Artemis felt like she was taking her first breath since it began. Sirius didn't make any move to keep walking. He leaned down, his lips brushing hers, a hand moving to push her hair back from her face. She deepened the kiss, leaning forward and letting her eyelids flutter closed.

It ended a second later. That was the thing with Sirius. Artemis always wanted more. She felt like she could never have enough of him. She listened to his breathing in the dark and moved her hand up the fabric of his shirt to the back of his neck, resting it on the warmth of his skin.

"I wish we had a dorm all to ourselves," he murmured.

Artemis couldn't count the number of times she'd wished for that. Some place in the castle she and Sirius could go to be alone without the fear of one of their friends barging in. "Maybe one day we will have a place to ourselves," she said.

It caught them both off guard. Artemis had never discussed a future with anyone. She was sixteen, the thought had barely even crossed her mind. When she thought of the future, she pictures herself as a successful auror, maybe sharing an apartment with Lily or Remus to save money on rent, or living alone. The thought of moving back in with her mother had even crossed her mind once or twice. Never in her life had she considered living with someone romantically. But now, standing there with Sirius, the idea planted itself in her head. Sure, they were taking it slow, but if things worked out...

"We could live in a city," said Sirius, shaking off the original surprise at her statement. "Somewhere close to an art museum."

She laughed. "Anywhere would be perfect."

They started walking again, back the way they'd come. Then, they both stopped dead in their tracks. "Where did that door come from?" Sirius asked, trying not to sound uneasy.

"It wasn't there before," said Artemis.

"Oh, come on, we've explored every corner of the castle, and-"

"It's not on the map," Artemis said, pulling out the map and opening it quickly. "But look at this."

She pointed to a little dot in the next corridor over, moving towards them. Argus Filch. THey exchanged a look. Sirius took her hand. "Come on."

Without thinking, they were moving towards the door that had seemingly sprung from the wall. They paused outside of it, Sirius's hand on the knob. Neither of them knew what they would find inside. They heard Filch's footsteps growing nearer. "Oh, just move over-" Artemis said in exasperation, taking the handle from Sirius and pushing the door open.

They moved inside and closed the door just before Filch rounded the corner. Sirius threw off the cloak and locked the door behind them and Artemis turned to see what the room was. "Holy shit," she said, and Sirius turned around.

It was a dormitory. It looked exactly like the ones in Gryffindor, only there was just one bed. Big enough for two people. There were no windows, but it seemed like the ceiling was enchanted like the one in the Great Hall. Stars shone as brightly as they did outside, forming constellations Artemis could name without even thinking. Sirius turned in a slow circle, taking in the room. "Holy shit," he repeated her. "I think it read our minds."