It makes me think Ransom can be a prude sometimes, even though I know he is no prude.

"See?" I look at Linda. "Ransom and I are fine. No tension between us." I gloat, even though I am lying.

Linda looks at me with fury in her eyes, but then she look down and her eyes expand.

"What's that?" Linda points – but to where? To Ransom?

I gaze down to Ransom and I look at Linda, arching my brow. "This is Ransom. Your son." I say in puzzlement.

"No, you tra –"

"Mom!" Ransom scolds.

Linda sighs. "No Evelyn, I meant what is on your finger?"

I look toward my finger and I realize what Linda is referring to. I hold my hand up. "It's a ring. You know, a jewellery piece that men and women wear on their fingers." I tease.

"Don't get cocky." Linda scolds. "I can see it's a ring. It's actually Ransom's ring." she mentions.

"Your point?" I say with a clip voice.

Linda huffs. "I don't want you wearing that ring. It doesn't belong on you." she sneers. "Give it back to Ransom this instant!" she barks.

"But what if he let me wear it?" I raise my hands, pretending to sound confused.

"I don't care. Just give that ring back my son." Linda says through gritted teeth.

"But Ransom said I must wear it." I say, trying to convince Linda that it isn't a big deal – because it is not, considering Ransom made me wear his ring.

"Well, I don't want some slutty tramp wearing –"

"Mom!" Ransom reprimands.

Linda closes her eyes briefly, sighing heavily. "As I was saying, that ring is a family heirloom. You have no right wearing that ring." Linda snarls. "Now give it back to Ransom."

"Mom." Ransom sighs irritably.

"NOW!" Linda screeches.

"No." I simply say, smirking at Linda because I know that I am driving her crazy.

I know I shouldn't provoke Linda, but I am kind of enjoying it. I can see why Linda likes to insult me.

Linda's hands clutch onto the arms of her chair and I can see she is clenching her jaw. "Listen here you little slut," she stands up, "you better give that ring back to my son or so help me –"

"What would you do?" Ransom interrupts, standing up. "What would you do to Evelyn?" he steps in front of me, blocking Linda's view of me.

Is Ransom protecting me? Or does he want us to leave this house.

Oh I hope it's the latter!

"Son," Linda sighs, "this slu –"

"MOM! STOP CALLING HER THAT FUCKING NAME!" Ransom screams.

"Fine, then this girl is not supposed to be wearing that ring. That ring is special. Harlan gave it to you. If you want to give that ring to someone, then you should let a stable woman wear it. A woman you are going to marry someday."

I can still hear Linda's condescending tone as she speaks.

Bitch!

"Mom, she can wear that ring because I lent it to her."

I look around the room and I see Joni, Walt, Meg and Richard are eyeing me out. It's making me feel uncomfortable. I decide that instead of looking at the family who are giving me cold stares, I turn my gaze to the back of Ransom.