| š™‘š™„š™„.

Start from the beginning

" for homework, you will study different aspects and what enzymes can do, and you will write a five page essay on this, and be quizzed on friday. i expect you all to pass. ", she says, and the class groans, while i lean forward and start packing up my things, and a used-looking textbook was dropped onto my papers, making me look up to ms. mendeleiev, her black rimmed readers' glasses on the tip of her nose, threatening to fall off.

" for you, miss beauséjour. you didn't get a textbook, so here's yours. chapter names are in the context, including the chapters on enzymes. ", ms. mendeleiev carries on, and i nod.

" i expect you to pass, considering that your mother called us and asked us to keep an eye on you. ", she glared at me, and i flinch.

" my mother? ", i ask, and she nods.

" precisely. what a good parent, more responsible than all of these other students. ", she says distastefully, and i frown.

of course my mother would spout off to the teachers, probably telling them to spy on me and tell her about all of the people i hang out and talk with.

she walks away, and the bell rings, causing me to pack my stuff a bit slowly, thinking about my mother now.

regrettably.

as i shimmied my notebook into my bag, adrien puts his hand on my shoulder, a worried expression on his face, and his other hand wrapped around his bag strap that hung off of his own shoulder.

" i'm sorry about what ms. mendeleiev said about your mom. seems like she's almost the same as my father. he wants me to excel more than other people my age. ", he says with an awkward smile, and i stand up straight, slinging my bag straps around my arms.

" oh, well we're both suffering then. i'm pretty sure my mother is worse than your father. what does he do? ", i ask, still a bit glum, but seeing adrien try to smile through his discomfort -
it made me feel worse.

" well, he's a fashion designer. he designs clothes, shoes, and even exterior and interior of houses and manors... i find it really cool sometimes if i didn't have to model for all of it. ", adrien says with an easy smile, rubbing his neck after.

" that's strange, my mother was working with someone who helped with interior design, since she's a famous interior designer... ", i mumble, and he stops, making me stop along with him.

" well what's her name? ", adrien asked, and i him, trying to think.

what was my mother's name again?

oh, that's right.

" did you forget?", adrien asked with a crooked smile, and laughed a bit awkwardly.

" oh, no— her name is kana. i wouldn't be surprised if i forgot since i don't talk to her much, my father and i have a closer relationship, " i say and look down at my shoes, sighing.

", she's my real mother, she was with me my entire childhood, and my father is my real father too. but my mother never treated me like a real mother would, or in this case- should. she only wanted me for my physical body, like i was a mannequin, to dress up, lather makeup on, and shoved on the runway like i was birthed out of hollywood. ", i say sadly, and looked up at adrien, who looked down at me with a face full of understanding.