Lie of Denial (p5)

Start from the beginning

Even Elowen had her cheat days, but why didn't she tell anyone else about it? 

Elowen wouldn't be anything less in their eyes if she'd let her perfect facade fall once in a while. Flaws made you pretty. Your imperfections are beautiful. Emilia placed the loose tile back in place and closed Elowen's wardrobe before moving around to search the rest of the room.

Unfortunately, she didn't find anything else that would help her. She slipped out of her room and down the stairs before disappearing into the darkness of the night. 

03 November 2015

03 November 2015

Tuesday

04:30 a.m

Emilia hadn't managed to get a wink of sleep. Her fingers itched to open the envelopes laying in her dresser drawer and her eyes burned to read the words etched on the pages. She peeled the covers off and grabbed the lot of letters. She huddled back to her bed and buried herself in the covers. Her fingers traced Elowen's writing on the cover of the envelope. 

She realized that she hadn't shed a single genuine tear for her best friend. Elowen wasn't the best person on the block but she was still her friend. Something within her ached. The genuine feelings for El which she'd locked up bubbled to the surface and within seconds Emilia felt the tears streaking her cheeks and dotting the comforter. 

She sniffled and wiped her nose on the back of her hand, determined not to let these new emotions get the best of her. She opened the letter addressed to Charlie and for a moment she felt her heart freeze over. 

The ink was blurred with what seemed like tears and red slashes adorned the paper like some newfound method of making everything seem dark. The words were illegible and it seemed like El had written them when she was drunk for her writing was askew, blurred and scratched over. 

Emilia exhaled sharply, slipping the letter back in the envelope she moved onto the next one addressed to Charlie. 

Her eyes widened as she soaked in the words and her brain shut down. She tried to process everything she'd just read. Invading her dead friend's privacy was one thing but being lied to about everything she'd known was a tougher pill to swallow. 

What if she liked her reality the way it was; untrue and deadly. 

Maybe she didn't want to believe in the words on this page. Maybe she wanted to pretend all this was just a bad nightmare. Maybe she didn't want to hurt herself with the truth. 

Dear Charlie

U fucking asshole. U disgusting jerk. This is all my fault but u never once ever looked at me. U never stopped to ask me how I was n what I was doing. U never turned around and asked me if I was okay when I scraped my knee back in third grade and I only ever yearned for your attention, your affection. And then I lied to you. I didn't sleep with your father, I just wanted you to be mine. The video was fake, all we did was kiss, he blacked out. He was too drunk but u, u believed me. You put family before family. U tried to save your dad and Rosé. You hated my touch. You'd go out of your way to avoid me n that hurt terribly, Charlie.