[CHAPTER 3]- A FAMILIAR COSTOMER

(Charles POV)

New day, more work. I loved having a job. It gave me a responsibility, an opportunity to meet new people, and a stable source of income.

My boss was a great man. He was very understanding and worked hard. The only thing I mildly disliked is that my shift started at the crack of dawn, so I had to wake up around 4:30 to be on time.

It was just the average day at the bakery. We were selling too many baguettes, as we are the number one place for baguettes in Paris. I had a shift on the register, which wasn't common for me, because I liked to be back in the kitchen making our actual delicacies.

Around noon, two people came into the bakery. One of them looked somewhat familiar.

"My name is Charles; how may I help you?"

One of the two girls, who looked a few years older than the other, froze when she saw me. I heard her mutter something under her breath. She whispered something to the other girl.

"Ms. Page, we can't go. We haven't ordered anything yet."

I patiently waited for them to make up their minds.

"I'm sorry, we can't stay. We need a four-tiered cake by the first of December. Beatrice Dubois will be here to pick it up then. It has to be worthy of the royal family, for it is for their grand ball that the Dubois family will be attending."

The girl turned to leave, but I called out, "Wait! Have you spoken to Juliet?"
She hesitated before saying,

"I have no idea what you're talking about," and she left.