Chapter 25- Stage Four

Start from the beginning

I tried walking as fast as I could, so that Cameron wouldn't notice me, covering my face as I walked, but alas, he did. "Hey Dunya," he said cheerfully as he stopped his work momentarily. In the meer second that I saw him, I could tell that he had bags under his eyes, probably from either fatigue or lack of sleep. I also noted that he had lost some weight since the last few days that I saw him. To say I was worried about his health and well-being would be an understatement, but I still refused to talk to him. I just wasn't ready yet, especially after all he's put me through and the eternal embarrassment, degrading and heartbreak he's caused me. I muttered back a "hi" and sprinted into the staffroom before he could say anything more. The more I tried to ignore him, the more he tried to talk to me, and believe me, it was all just getting harder and harder.

I walked over to the cash register and was just about to ring up a customer's order when Teta motioned for me to come. I said excuse me to the customer and went over to see what Teta needed. "Dunya, I think I need to rest a bit, can you finish off the cotton candy for me, please?" she asked and I obliged very quickly.

"Of course, are you okay, though? Do you need tea or anything?" I asked, concerned.

"No, no, I'm fine, I just need some fresh air," she smiled before calling Cameron to cash. I took a new stick and began spinning it around the machine, getting as much flossed sugar I could around it, and then placed it in our display. When Cameron was done with his order, he continuously began opening and closing the cash register, hearing a ding every time it snapped open. After the fifteenth time, and yes, I was counting, I got so irritated and fed up.

"Could you please stop doing that?" I asked venomously and he looked at me apologetically and I instantly felt remorse. "Look, I'm sorry, I'm just, in a crappy mood today."

"Dunya..." he began just as Teta came back inside, with what looked like another customer behind her. Teta went to sit on the Coca Cola couch that Cameron bought the shoppe a few months back.

"Hi there," the short lady said to Cameron. "I'll take two cotton candies, please," she requested and he nodded. "They're not for me, of course. They're... for my nieces," she said suddenly and Cameron just nodded again, not interested in the fake story the lady was making up to cover the fact that she had a sweet tooth and just wouldn't admit it. I mean, come on, it was nothing to be ashamed of, really.

"Here you go," I said putting on a fake smile, handing her two sticks of flossed candy. "I'm sure your nieces will really enjoy them." She looked at them ravenously before saying, "Oh yes, I'm sure they will," she blushed before slamming a five dollar bill down at the counter and running away, giddy. Cameron looked at the door she just closed behind her, with a bewildered look on his face, as if to say that he has just met the weirdest person ever. I burst out laughing at his reaction and then he looked at me with longing and passion. "What?" I asked abruptly.

"I missed hearing you laugh and seeing the laugh lines that form at the sides of your mouth and the single dimple on your lower left cheek. It's been too long."

"Look Cameron, I appreciate the effort, but you really have to stop. We both know about the bet, so just let it go. Look, I don't hate you, anymore, but you don't have to pretend anymore."

"How can you say that?" he looked at me with frustration. "Every time I try to talk to you, you shut me down. You never even give me a chance to explain myself. Is that what Islam teaches us Dunya. Isn't it 'Umar ibn Al-Khattaab who said, 'Never think ill of a word said by your Muslim brother as long as you can find a single good interpretation for it.'"